Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ang8385

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Let's say if i bought the new 12 inch powerbook with standard spec, how can i add extra ram and change the hard drive afterwards by myself ???
Is that easy to do ?? And what kind of ram and hard drive should i get ??

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
HDD is non-changable without voiding your warranty. RAM should be a standard SO-DIMM. And the instruction to change the RAM will be in teh manual with your PB.

ang8385

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
7on said:
HDD is non-changable without voiding your warranty. RAM should be a standard SO-DIMM. And the instruction to change the RAM will be in teh manual with your PB.

So i can add ram afterwards, so should i upgrade my hard drive to 5200rpm?? or change one after warranty?? is that difficult to change it ??

sundevil

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2004
Oregon
The hard drive can be replaced without voiding the warranty if it is done by an Apple certified resller, just not by the user. I believe it used to be consider user-replaceable on the Ti-Book, however. It is definitely not something to be undertaken unless you are very comfortable disassembling your powerbook.

Anyway, if you really want to upgrade the hard drive yourself, you might consider waiting a few months until 7,200 RPM 80GB drives become available from Hitachi and Seagate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.