Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:39 AM   #1
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
iPod laser engraving after purchase?

Okay i am buying a pink iPod mini for my girlfriends 19th birthday, and her birthday was in 2 weeks so i bought one off of ebay. my question is..

Can you get your iPod laser engraved by a 3rd party company? or is that advisable? i searched around but could not answer my question.

thanks in advance!
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2004, 02:03 AM   #2
stevehaslip
macrumors 6502a

don't think so, i spose you might be able to find a company that will do it but apple won't.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 02:04 AM   #3
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Take it to a jeweler or a local engravery place.

Yes, that's right, "engravery"
Old Jul 29, 2004, 02:05 AM   #4
Kingsnapped
macrumors 6502a

There's gotta be somebody who can engrave it, I know a place in my local mall does it. Just check the yellow pages, or Sherlock if you're feeling adventurous.
Kingsnapped is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2004, 06:26 AM   #5
plasticparadox
macrumors 6502

Careful... depending on the tools they use, they could royally mess up your iPod's hard disk. Especially if they use grinding tools that vibrate the insides too much. That's why Apple uses laser engraving.
plasticparadox is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:22 AM   #6
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticparadox
Careful... depending on the tools they use, they could royally mess up your iPod's hard disk. Especially if they use grinding tools that vibrate the insides too much. That's why Apple uses laser engraving.
ya i knew Apple could'nt do it. and i really dont want to mess with a regular engraving so thanks to this amazing community on a hard question to ask!

as a final soultion maybe i should just draw on it with a sharpie!!!
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:46 PM   #7
superbovine
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticparadox
that why you turn in off, it used be when you were transporting your computer you used to have to lock your hard drives. they have fixed that problem.
superbovine is offline   0
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:40 AM   #8
Elan0204
macrumors 65816

People definitely do it because Apple support specifically mentions it in one of their support documents. They don't discuss how to have it done, but they say that if you send a custom iPod in for repair\replacement there is no guarantee that the iPod you get back will be engraved. Something to consider before spending a large sum on the engraving.

To learn more about Utada, check out my iMix.
Elan0204 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion