Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Okay i am buying a pink iPod mini for my girlfriends 19th birthday, and her birthday was in 2 weeks so i bought one off of ebay. my question is..

Can you get your iPod laser engraved by a 3rd party company? or is that advisable? i searched around but could not answer my question.

thanks in advance!

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
There's gotta be somebody who can engrave it, I know a place in my local mall does it. Just check the yellow pages, or Sherlock if you're feeling adventurous.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Careful... depending on the tools they use, they could royally mess up your iPod's hard disk. Especially if they use grinding tools that vibrate the insides too much. That's why Apple uses laser engraving.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
plasticparadox said:
Careful... depending on the tools they use, they could royally mess up your iPod's hard disk. Especially if they use grinding tools that vibrate the insides too much. That's why Apple uses laser engraving.
ya i knew Apple could'nt do it. and i really dont want to mess with a regular engraving so thanks to this amazing community on a hard question to ask!

as a final soultion maybe i should just draw on it with a sharpie!!! :p

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
plasticparadox said:

that why you turn in off, it used be when you were transporting your computer you used to have to lock your hard drives. they have fixed that problem.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
People definitely do it because Apple support specifically mentions it in one of their support documents. They don't discuss how to have it done, but they say that if you send a custom iPod in for repair\replacement there is no guarantee that the iPod you get back will be engraved. Something to consider before spending a large sum on the engraving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.