Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Nov 13, 2009, 08:37 AM   #1
arnieterm
macrumors regular

Core Data and SQLite for iphone

I have reviewed CoreDataBooks sample that is using Core Data [an object oriented approach] and SQLite for iphone. I have an app that is also using SQLite database and requires a large number of data entry usually on a daily basis. I have 4 tables out of which 2 are main and holding one to many relationship as given below:

Table1 [Main table that wil contain one row for each day of month]
Table2 [That may contain one or more row for each row of Table1]

Each row of Table1 is uniquely identified by the date for that day. I am storing date as double in the table. Is it okay to use Core Data with sqlite here. Will it make reading/writing data faster than when using only sqlite3.
As I have to plot a graph also based on data for all days of a particular month.

Can anybody suggest that should I use Core Data along with sqlite or only sqlite as usual?
arnieterm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2
AndyCodez
macrumors regular

I think you would have to choose one or the other. Core Data uses a sqlite database but you don't directly use sqlite methods like you are doing currently. I don't think you can port your current database to Core Data. When you do the mapping it creates the sqlite database with other fields than what you are mapping to.
iFlashCardPro - Flash Cards
AndyCodez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 02:07 PM   #3
MacDonaldsd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieterm View Post
I have reviewed CoreDataBooks sample that is using Core Data [an object oriented approach] and SQLite for iphone. I have an app that is also using SQLite database and requires a large number of data entry usually on a daily basis. I have 4 tables out of which 2 are main and holding one to many relationship as given below:

Table1 [Main table that wil contain one row for each day of month]
Table2 [That may contain one or more row for each row of Table1]

Each row of Table1 is uniquely identified by the date for that day. I am storing date as double in the table. Is it okay to use Core Data with sqlite here. Will it make reading/writing data faster than when using only sqlite3.
As I have to plot a graph also based on data for all days of a particular month.

Can anybody suggest that should I use Core Data along with sqlite or only sqlite as usual?
As AndyCodez said, you use either CoreData or SQLite. CoreData is using SQLite under the hood to handle the object persistence, but you don't write any of that SQLite, nor do you ether see it.

For what you are doing, ether is fine. CoreData makes it simpler though.
MacDonaldsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming