Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driftmr2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Broomfield, CO
I have done a ton of searching and still haven't found the answer I am looking for (besides a possible future product by Belkin). It can't be as simple as a HDMI to MDP adaptor can it?

driftmr2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Broomfield, CO
A guy at Best Buy try to sell me this set up:

Apple- Mini DVI to DVI Display Adapter
Dynex- 6.5' DVI-D-to-HDMI Cable - DX-C114181
Monster Cable - HDMI Female-to-Female Coupler - VA HDMI CPL

I asked if this would take care of the scaling issue and she said I would just change the settings within the Xbox dashboard.

I didn't trust his knowledge but I thought I would share.

CNFR

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
The easiest solution is to get an xbox 360 elite or premium whichever has an HDMI port and then buy a Female DVI-D to Male HDMI adapter and it works perfectly,

the only thing is that you need to take the sound separately as the cinema display doesn't have sound but you get an adapter for sound with the HDMI xbox's anyway

Hope this clears up the unknowns

Ruscon

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
The easiest solution is to get an xbox 360 elite or premium whichever has an HDMI port and then buy a Female DVI-D to Male HDMI adapter and it works perfectly,

the only thing is that you need to take the sound separately as the cinema display doesn't have sound but you get an adapter for sound with the HDMI xbox's anyway

Hope this clears up the unknowns

Have you actually tried this method yourself or are you just brainstorming?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
No, no, no.

Converting from DVI (or HDMI, which is essentially the same thing) to DisplayPort/mini-DisplayPort requires active circuitry. You cannot do it with passive cable adapters.

There is currently one device on the market that will convert DVI to mDP, though it's about $150 and doesn't incorporate any scaling (strictly pixel-to-pixel conversion). There are others in development, but I think this is the only one currently available: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html

rkdiddy has it right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.