Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Hey guys,

My week old 12" Powerbook rev. C might have a very minor problem, the Caps Lock light doesn't really work. If you go into a completely dark closet, you can just barely see it, and in normal to pretty dark light situations, you can't see it at all. I'm just wondering if this is normal, or mine is defective? If its defective, how could I fix it, the Genius Bar? About how much would it cost? Hopefully free...

Thanks

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I don't think this is normal behavior. I'm sitting here in class with the lights on and I can definately see the caps lock light when its on. Is your num lock key (F6) the same way? I have a rev. B powerbook.

If I were you, I would call Apple and see what they say.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It's defective, it needs to be sent away (not fixed at the Genius bar), and it's free. It shouldn't take more than a few days.

However... back up your system first, and deauthorize iTunes just in case they send you a new one or wipe the disk or whatever. 99% chance it'll be your PB returned, better than new, but why risk it?

Edit: call Apple support. Maybe you can take it in. But, likely, they'll ship you a next-day box to send it back in, and you'll get it back a few days later.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Celeron said:
I don't think this is normal behavior. I'm sitting here in class with the lights on and I can definately see the caps lock light when its on. Is your num lock key (F6) the same way? I have a rev. B powerbook.

If I were you, I would call Apple and see what they say.

There isn't a light on F6 (and it doesn't look like there should be...?)

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
KevRC4130 said:
There isn't a light on F6 (and it doesn't look like there should be...?)

There isn't a light persay, but mine lights up underneither when I push it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Call Apple! Sorry that there was a problem out of the box, but, once that gets fixed, your system should provide you with years of enjoyment! But I'd call and have it fixed before you install more software on it!

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
my pro keyboard's num lock button doesn't work at all either... but it doesn't bother me.. makes my keyboard unique...

also, the num lock doesn't have any effect on the numerical keyboard... what should it do exactly?
i know it works because it functions as clear in calculator...

reality

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
realityisterror said:
also, the num lock doesn't have any effect on the numerical keyboard... what should it do exactly?
It doesn't light up on a desktop Pro keyboard. In Ye Olde Worlde computer times it turned the numeric keypad in to a set of directional arrow, which is pretty much useless these days. It may still work if you have Universal Access/Full Keyboard Access enabled, I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.