Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Etherwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Hey, they put a nice video camera into the ipod nano, why not do it for the classic? It would have the advantage of a huge hard drive, 160 gb can hold 200 hours of video. Also space for a better quality camera... maybe go so far to add a digital zoom feature, is that asking for too much?

The ipod and itunes revolutionized the way we use mp3 technology, and it has the potential to do the same with video. Perhaps allowing an upload/download feature to imovie? I'm thinking the ipod nano video-camera feature is a stepping stone for a whole new world of video-recording: Uploading, editing, youtube-sharing, garageband/logic mixing conglomerate of ilife software syncing with an all-in-one device that plays and records video and audio on a monster hard drive... what better to be that device than the ipod classic we all know and love?

Think about it, it's just some crazy idea I had. I would buy one. Comment on what you think of this idea.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
To Apple, the iPod classic is just a placeholder until the iPod touch reaches a capacity over 100 GB. They haven't made any changes to it since 2007, and as the lowest selling iPod it doesn't make sense for them to invest in it any further. Although I do wish they'd do so, the classic still has so much potential. (larger screen, improved interface, camera/mic, colors)

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I also don't think it'll happen. The iPod classic's still there because, much as Apple dislikes it, there's a market between those that only want a nano and those who want to be able to run apps on their iPod. They'll eventually make the Touch the main iPod.

Although I do wish they'd do so, the classic still has so much potential. (larger screen, improved interface, camera/mic, colors)

I also wish they'd at least give it a bigger screen, but I don't see it happening. I'm just hoping they'll do something with it next September when I'll be buying one. Other than killing it off :(

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London
I hope Apple doesn't discontinue the iPod Classic. There some of us who still want just a MP3/Video player. I am not willing to shell out an extra 100 bucks for some, to me, useless apps or another camera.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Much easier and more profitable to make a video camera dock connector perhaps? Then the GBs could be used.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Agreed. I think the Classic is pretty much perfect the way it is now. The 2G Shuffle was perfect for what it was too, and Apple screwed that up. I wouldn't want to see that happen to the Classic.

Oh god yeah, the 2G Shuffle was pretty much perfect. :( I would like a bigger screen, and maybe a better interface on the Classic though. It'd be nice if it had flash too, but I can't see that happening unfortunately :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.