Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
IMG_1675.jpg

A walkthrough of the setup:

IMG_1656.jpg

Canon 860 (wireless scanning!!!!)
IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

Screenshot2009-11-13at114318PM.png

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Oh sweet mother of God what a beauty! I have the Drobo also, what a great little machine isnt it? I just threw 4 tb WDs in there in anticipation of my i7, cant wait to have an i7 to plug it into!

So any initial impressions regarding performance?

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Very nice!!!!! the new imacs make the old gen ones look really outdated imo love the mousepad also :)

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
This is disgusting zedsdead - look what you did... now I have to change my pants, and I'm slip sliding all over the floor. Damn! This is better than the best pr0n.

Goldie009

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Nice setup! Out of interest what do you use your computers for.

I see a lot of money there invested in storage and storage redundancy - any particular purpose apart from safety of your music / videos / photos? Or is it to safeguard your work based data?

Cheers!!

thomanjones

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2006
DC
Hehe, I hope you ordered a new HDD for your Drobo as well, he's about to explode :D Still trying to decide between a SSD in my 2006 iMac + 2nd gen i7 iMac or an i7 now + trade in the 2006 iMac for a ton of free babysitting.

Edit: Anyone on the fence about a Drobo (like I was for about a year) - it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wish I had gotten it sooner.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Man, I'm dumb. I gotta stop showing pics like these to my wife. She can't imagine why anyone would need a 24" iMac and a 27"!

It's not about need; it's about *want*!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
This is disgusting zedsdead - look what you did... now I have to change my pants, and I'm slip sliding all over the floor. Damn! This is better than the best pr0n.

I know. Had to change a few times yesterday.;)

Where did you get that snow leopard mousepad? :p

http://www.zazzle.com/cr/design/pt-mousepad

Hehe, I hope you ordered a new HDD for your Drobo as well, he's about to explode :D

It has 3 TB in it now, but I have about 450 free. It only turned orange because I moved my old iMac's iMovie onto it, which just got moved to the new machine. It will be green again once I delete the stuff I migrated over. My only issue with the Drobo is that it is not fast enough for video editing.

Man, I'm dumb. I gotta stop showing pics like these to my wife. She can't imagine why anyone would need a 24" iMac and a 27"!

It's not about need; it's about *want*!

I am giving the 24" to my father. I can't believe how small it looked when next to the 27. The screen blinded me for a short period of time.:eek:

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007

I'm guessing you don't have a girlfriend, or many friends, do you.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
STOOOOP ITTT!!!!

Your making me want to order one right now!!!

As bad as I want one sadly I'm more in need of a mac pro :( But omg do I want a 27 inch iMac!

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
on the fence about Drobo...

Hehe, I hope you ordered a new HDD for your Drobo as well, he's about to explode :D Still trying to decide between a SSD in my 2006 iMac + 2nd gen i7 iMac or an i7 now + trade in the 2006 iMac for a ton of free babysitting.

Edit: Anyone on the fence about a Drobo (like I was for about a year) - it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wish I had gotten it sooner.

Looking to upgrade my first gen white 24". I was hoping for a 30",but this is close enough given the RAM allotments. The 16gb is tempting, but the pricepoint is still a bit steep (never thought I would say $1200 is too high for 16gb). Probably going to go with 8gb, the cheapest way possible, and just toss the chips when the 4gb chips come down.

Anyhow, have been looking at the Drobos. I have a pretty large (75k) image library total, plus archived publications that eat up a lot of room. I hear complaints of slowness. Is that just using the network accessible attachment? I don't work in video, but I do a lot in Aperture, which is starting to creak a bit. Any advice you can offer on the Drobos is appreciated. It seems the 1.5tb drives are the bargain now, at a little over $109 each.

Also, there is only one Firewire port on the 27". Are you running your Drobo through that, or on one of USB 2's?
Are there any external ports on the back of the Drobo for daisy chaining add'l external drives? Or can you put the Drobo at the end of a chain? I have a bunch of firewire drives now, even with the Drobo I will probably keep them for add'l backup and storage of less accessed data.
michael

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I like the shape of that printer. Wireless Scanning? :eek: I didn't know that existed. Gosh. Maybe I want that.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Looking to upgrade my first gen white 24". I was hoping for a 30",but this is close enough given the RAM allotments. The 16gb is tempting, but the pricepoint is still a bit steep (never thought I would say $1200 is too high for 16gb). Probably going to go with 8gb, the cheapest way possible, and just toss the chips when the 4gb chips come down.

Anyhow, have been looking at the Drobos. I have a pretty large (75k) image library total, plus archived publications that eat up a lot of room. I hear complaints of slowness. Is that just using the network accessible attachment? I don't work in video, but I do a lot in Aperture, which is starting to creak a bit. Any advice you can offer on the Drobos is appreciated. It seems the 1.5tb drives are the bargain now, at a little over $109 each.

Also, there is only one Firewire port on the 27". Are you running your Drobo through that, or on one of USB 2's?
Are there any external ports on the back of the Drobo for daisy chaining add'l external drives? Or can you put the Drobo at the end of a chain? I have a bunch of firewire drives now, even with the Drobo I will probably keep them for add'l backup and storage of less accessed data.
michael

I run the Drobo into the Firewire 800 port on the iMac, and the OWC-Raid into the Drobo. Basically the Drobo is always connected as it is my itunes library.

Nice set up but hide those damn wires. :D

I know! It's a downside of the glass desks when you have so many external devices...:(

Anyhow, have been looking at the Drobos. I have a pretty large (75k) image library total, plus archived publications that eat up a lot of room. I hear complaints of slowness. Is that just using the network accessible attachment?

The Drobo is too slow for video editing which is a real shame. I would be careful and research it first before you buy it for Aperture.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
I run the Drobo into the Firewire 800 port on the iMac, and the OWC-Raid into the Drobo. Basically the Drobo is always connected as it is my itunes library...The Drobo is too slow for video editing which is a real shame. I would be careful and research it first before you buy it for Aperture.

Zed, so there are external ports on the Drobo (cool). I will keep reading up regarding Aperture. On the NIK forums and website, I know they are pushing the Drobo, and even offer a 15% discount if you use the code "NIKDROBO". Aperture still functions fine on my white 24" which only has 3gb ram... I have to think it will run better with the 8gb and the faster processors. I do experience some beachballs here and there, but I usually have a bunch of other stuff open at the same time. Usually a restart fixes it, and I did a library rebuild that also helped a bit. Anyhow, will probably wait until the next fiscal year starts, or maybe until after tax time (ugh). Hopefully Aperture 3.0 will be out by then as well...
cheers,
michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.