Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:14 AM   #1
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Store shoplifting policy - Menards incident in the news...

This randomly showed up on Google News...

http://consumerist.com/5400831/never...k-of-the-store

Quote:
Here's some advice for you, the regular customer who doesn't shoplift: never go into the back of a store with a security guard, store manager, rent-a-cop, etc. Never. Someone posted the following story in the Janesville, Wisconsin CraigsList over the weekend. Because the poster cooperated in good faith with the security personnel at her local Menards home store, she had to pay $150 to avoid having the police called on her.
Anyone else have weird experiences like this? Once when I was in high school still, I went to Meijer's (a supermarket) and bought a watch band, IIRC, and some crazy person who worked there chased me out into the parking lot and demanded to see my receipt. It was jarring but otherwise I showed him my receipt, chewed him out a bit, and that was the end of it. Sounds a lot less scary than this....
__________________
Mohan
mkrishnan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Um, story posted on craigslist?
MOST REPUTABLE NEWS SOURCE EVER. =p

Here is an advice for them, don't listen to everything on the internet...
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Koodauw
macrumors 68040
 
Koodauw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Madison
Well you know there is always 3 sides to each story...... I don't particularly believe this set of events.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:42 AM   #4
mkrishnan
Thread Starter
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It does sound questionable, although I've also heard of things like it... we'll see if it gets carried.
__________________
Mohan
mkrishnan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:14 AM   #5
savoirfaire
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
This randomly showed up on Google News...

http://consumerist.com/5400831/never...k-of-the-store



Anyone else have weird experiences like this? Once when I was in high school still, I went to Meijer's (a supermarket) and bought a watch band, IIRC, and some crazy person who worked there chased me out into the parking lot and demanded to see my receipt. It was jarring but otherwise I showed him my receipt, chewed him out a bit, and that was the end of it. Sounds a lot less scary than this....
It does sound weird. I don't know whether the part about the guy who grabbed her cart and went halfway down the aisle with it was relevant to the story at all.

I remember when I was in college, I frequented Tower Records. One time as I was leaving, one of the employees came and demanded to see my bag. I hadn't stolen anything, so I let her, but her accusatory attitude really put me off.
savoirfaire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:04 PM   #6
question fear
macrumors 68020
 
question fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The "Garden" state
Send a message via AIM to question fear
There's something very weird about that story.

I've worked in retail mgmt and sat through several loss prevention trainings, and I can't imagine any company doing that.

1) You cannot be held against your will, by a rent-a-cop or anyone else. The best a store can do is ask you to please wait while the police arrive.

2) Its wildly unethical and illegal to extort $150 out of someone. The police would investigate prior to any shoplifting charges.

I call BS on the whole thing.
__________________
Give blood. Play rugby.
question fear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:22 PM   #7
skottichan
macrumors 6502a
 
skottichan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by question fear View Post
There's something very weird about that story.

I've worked in retail mgmt and sat through several loss prevention trainings, and I can't imagine any company doing that.

1) You cannot be held against your will, by a rent-a-cop or anyone else. The best a store can do is ask you to please wait while the police arrive.

2) Its wildly unethical and illegal to extort $150 out of someone. The police would investigate prior to any shoplifting charges.

I call BS on the whole thing.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I know it's been a while since I've worked retail (VS, MediaPlay, Best Buy), but there were a lot of rules that security had to follow when confronting a potential shoplifter.

The extortion thing is something that really red flagged the whole story for me.
skottichan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:31 PM   #8
question fear
macrumors 68020
 
question fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The "Garden" state
Send a message via AIM to question fear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I know it's been a while since I've worked retail (VS, MediaPlay, Best Buy), but there were a lot of rules that security had to follow when confronting a potential shoplifter.

The extortion thing is something that really red flagged the whole story for me.
Exactly.

Though once in a loss prevention training, our LP manager said, "We are no longer allowed to zip tie shoplifters." Which of course led to a 20 minute discussion about how in the bigger Borders stores, they WERE zip tying shoplifters, usually to a desk in the backroom until the police could arrive.

Apparently someone told them it was dangerous and probably illegal...poor LP manager was so sad about that.
__________________
Give blood. Play rugby.
question fear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Kamera RAWr
macrumors 65816
 
Kamera RAWr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I'm where I need to be
What are the general rules for Loss Prevention employees? I work at a southern California Macy's store and I saw a guy get ambushed by LP just outside the glass door as he left. He was then handcuffed and brought back into Macy's and they walked him (I assume) back to the LP office until the police arrived.
__________________
Sweet as, bro.
Kamera RAWr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:35 PM   #10
skottichan
macrumors 6502a
 
skottichan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamera RAWr View Post
What are the general rules for Loss Prevention employees? I work at a southern California Macy's store and I saw a guy get ambushed by LP just outside the glass door as he left. He was then handcuffed and brought back into Macy's and they walked him (I assume) back to the LP office until the police arrived.
Sometimes larger store chains will actually have off duty cops and/or deputized security personnel, and they would have the training and legal standing to do things like that. Also, depends on the State/local laws when it comes to "Citizen's Arrest", some are more aggressive than others.
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:16 AM   #11
mkrishnan
Thread Starter
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This story in any event didn't seem to have been picked up by any more credible news source as of yesterday night....
__________________
Mohan
mkrishnan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:01 AM   #12
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by question fear View Post
There's something very weird about that story.

I've worked in retail mgmt and sat through several loss prevention trainings, and I can't imagine any company doing that.

1) You cannot be held against your will, by a rent-a-cop or anyone else. The best a store can do is ask you to please wait while the police arrive.

2) Its wildly unethical and illegal to extort $150 out of someone. The police would investigate prior to any shoplifting charges.

I call BS on the whole thing.
Agreed, this thing stinks worse than a week old fish.
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Antares
macrumors 68000
 
Antares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed, this thing stinks worse than a week old fish.
You never know. The story is perfectly reasonable. You would be surprised how many managers and LP personnel do things like this. Illegal? Yes. Against company policy? Yes. But it actually does happen.

It's easy enough to get away with. The shoplifter is likely not going to complain afterward. The shoplifter's whole point of paying was not to get into trouble in the first place...they're not going pay and then turn around and admit they shoplifted to police. This defeats the whole purpose of paying to get out of trouble. And even if they did complain to the cops or anyone else, there is no proof that bribery or extortion was involved.

I think all of you would be quite surprised with how often things like this actually happen. The amount of "activities" store employees engage in to extort, steal and scam customers, fellow employees and the company out of money. Not to mention, how often it happens. It's quite surprising. (I work for a large retail chain at corporate. I was privy to a lot of this information).

Steal from a thief. They're the best victims. A thief or criminal is less likely to go to the police since they would then have to admit that someone stole something from them which they had previously stolen from someone else.
__________________
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. - Steve Jobs
An Apple a day keeps the PC's away
Antares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Tellthetruth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
This story is full of BS

This lady needs to get her facts checked!

Menards have display of actual drills on the shelf for people to pick up and handle. There is NO reason to open a box to check the weight.

I know that you were not told to pay $150 or the police would be called. That is a flat out lie and an excuse to try to cover what you did.

Menard Stores have a Civil Restitution policy and so do most other retail stores. Each retail store can have a different way of doing things. It is 100% legal.

I'm guessing that the security guard told you about the Civil Restitution and you refused to sign it. A civil restitution is just like a contract. You were most likely given the choice to handle the situation with just a civil restitution and not involve the police. I'm sure you said that you refuse to sign the paper. So what that says is that you don't want to handle the situation between you and the store. The reason the police are called is because now there will be a court date and it will be on record. You are charged in court and then Menards can go after you for civil damages.... Hence...Restitution.

I also suspect that since this story did not go any farther; you did not contact Menards Corporate security. If it was a simple act of a cashier missing an item; the whole thing would have been reversed. OR if you did go to their corporate security; they were able to watch security video and see enough to show you actively deceived the store and they enforced the Civil Restitution.

Tell the Truth. Your story is full of BS.
Tellthetruth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:47 PM   #15
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellthetruth View Post
This lady needs to get her facts checked!

Menards have display of actual drills on the shelf for people to pick up and handle. There is NO reason to open a box to check the weight.

I know that you were not told to pay $150 or the police would be called. That is a flat out lie and an excuse to try to cover what you did.

Menard Stores have a Civil Restitution policy and so do most other retail stores. Each retail store can have a different way of doing things. It is 100% legal.

I'm guessing that the security guard told you about the Civil Restitution and you refused to sign it. A civil restitution is just like a contract. You were most likely given the choice to handle the situation with just a civil restitution and not involve the police. I'm sure you said that you refuse to sign the paper. So what that says is that you don't want to handle the situation between you and the store. The reason the police are called is because now there will be a court date and it will be on record. You are charged in court and then Menards can go after you for civil damages.... Hence...Restitution.

I also suspect that since this story did not go any farther; you did not contact Menards Corporate security. If it was a simple act of a cashier missing an item; the whole thing would have been reversed. OR if you did go to their corporate security; they were able to watch security video and see enough to show you actively deceived the store and they enforced the Civil Restitution.

Tell the Truth. Your story is full of BS.
So Menards actually pays people to bump 4 and a half year old threads on Internet forums and try to make the company look good? How do I get that job?
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:51 PM   #16
Tellthetruth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
No. Don't work for Menards. Just a little sick of seeing posts from people to commit theft and try to make businesses look like the bad guy. People like that make me have to pay more in stores because the stores make that money back with higher prices.
Tellthetruth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:52 PM   #17
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellthetruth View Post
No. Don't work for Menards. Just a little sick of seeing posts from people to commit theft and try to make businesses look like the bad guy. People like that make me have to pay more in stores because the stores make that money back with higher prices.
So just how did you find this 4 year old thread then?

You registered today just to bump this thread and defend Menards, so forgive me if I don't believe you when you say you do not work for them.
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:57 PM   #18
Tellthetruth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
I actually did not pay attn to the date. I was online looking up a story about Menards, Home Depot and Lowes. This link was one that came up and I read it. I am more of a Home Depot kind of person anyways.

Time to get outside and enjoy some of this sun. Have a great weekend.
Tellthetruth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:59 PM   #19
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
So just how did you find this 4 year old thread then?

You registered today just to bump this thread and defend Menards, so forgive me if I don't believe you when you say you do not work for them.
Oh, ye of little faith!

Here is a seeker of Truth...a voice in the wilderness...one who brings light into the darkness...

...and you question motives!

OK...OK...my BS meter is pegged, too.

__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:44 AM   #20
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellthetruth View Post
This lady needs to get her facts checked!
.....
I'll bet we may have heard the last of Tellthetruth....
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:52 PM   #21
alent1234
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellthetruth View Post
No. Don't work for Menards. Just a little sick of seeing posts from people to commit theft and try to make businesses look like the bad guy. People like that make me have to pay more in stores because the stores make that money back with higher prices.

if this was me, i would tell them to call the cops
i've known real shoplifters who stole a lot of things many times. having a $300 receipt of stuff you just bought and a pack of bits that wasn't paid for would get thrown out of court
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:38 PM   #22
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
This story is true cause I was the crazy person who grabbed the shopping cart.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2014, 05:11 PM   #23
turtle777
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
if this was me, i would tell them to call the cops
i've known real shoplifters who stole a lot of things many times. having a $300 receipt of stuff you just bought and a pack of bits that wasn't paid for would get thrown out of court
This.

Plus, imagine the judge's reaction when you tell him you were offered to pay $150 to "let it go".

-t
turtle777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:25 PM   #24
moonman239
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by question fear View Post
There's something very weird about that story.

I've worked in retail mgmt and sat through several loss prevention trainings, and I can't imagine any company doing that.

1) You cannot be held against your will, by a rent-a-cop or anyone else. The best a store can do is ask you to please wait while the police arrive.

2) Its wildly unethical and illegal to extort $150 out of someone. The police would investigate prior to any shoplifting charges.

I call BS on the whole thing.
Allow me to correct #1 to some extent.

In California, a "private person" can arrest someone if he or she saw a "public offense" being committed, or has reason to believe that a felony was committed. Edit: Theft is a public offense.

California Penal Code section 837 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...00&section=pen):

Quote:
837. A private person may arrest another:
1. For a public offense committed or attempted in his presence.
2. When the person arrested has committed a felony, although not
in his presence.
3. When a felony has been in fact committed, and he has reasonable
cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.
__________________
The funny thing about this signature is that by the time you get to the end of it, you will have spent between five and ten seconds doing so.
moonman239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:11 AM   #25
rhett7660
macrumors G3
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by question fear View Post
There's something very weird about that story.

I've worked in retail mgmt and sat through several loss prevention trainings, and I can't imagine any company doing that.

1) You cannot be held against your will, by a rent-a-cop or anyone else. The best a store can do is ask you to please wait while the police arrive.

2) Its wildly unethical and illegal to extort $150 out of someone. The police would investigate prior to any shoplifting charges.

I call BS on the whole thing.
Citizens arrest.....

In some jurisdictions of the United States, the courts recognize a common law shopkeeper's privilege, under which a shopkeeper is allowed to detain a suspected shoplifter on store property for a reasonable period of time, so long as the shopkeeper has cause to believe that the person detained in fact committed, or attempted to commit, theft of store property. The purpose of this detention is to recover the property and make an arrest if the merchant desires.
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Retail News: New Munich Store Opening Saturday, Hong Kong IFC Mall Store Expansion Coming MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 11 Sep 26, 2013 07:34 AM
[News] Nintendo's Used Game Policy: Make Games People Won't Sell gkarris Console Games 11 Jun 21, 2013 12:25 PM
US apple store refund policy srsub3 iPhone 10 Apr 4, 2013 06:26 PM
Apple Store Policy btdpi007 Buying Tips and Advice 2 Jan 1, 2013 10:29 AM
Apple Store Customer Arrested for Shoplifting Says He Was Trying to Use EasyPay Self-Checkout MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 503 Nov 2, 2012 05:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC