Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:49 AM   #1
puma1552
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Oh Japan, you are so far behind at times lol

This weekend I happened across a brand new 2 GB silver iPod nano 2nd generation at a major electronics store. There was just one lone iPod there, and was selling for about $100.

i really have zero use for a two GB iPod but im tempted to bargain them down to $60-$70 (they won't move it otherwise) and just get it for ***** and giggles and then wrap it in a power support silicone jacket since here in Jland I can still get power support silicone jackets dating way back

oh japan lol
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:12 AM   #2
dextertangocci
macrumors 68000
 
dextertangocci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to dextertangocci
When I was in Times Square in NY those dodgy electronics shops around there tried to sell me 2 year old iPods. It's not only Japan. These shops just make money off people who don't know any better.
dextertangocci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:35 AM   #3
ob81
macrumors 65816
 
ob81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
This weekend I happened across a brand new 2 GB silver iPod nano 2nd generation at a major electronics store. There was just one lone iPod there, and was selling for about $100.

i really have zero use for a two GB iPod but im tempted to bargain them down to $60-$70 (they won't move it otherwise) and just get it for ***** and giggles and then wrap it in a power support silicone jacket since here in Jland I can still get power support silicone jackets dating way back

oh japan lol
If it was a major electronics store, what was the name of it? Sounds like it was a hole in the wall if you figured that you could negotiate the price.

Japan is MILES ahead of everyone else in technology. Everyone knows this. Don't improperly judge an entire country because you went into some tech shop that had an old iPod.

This thread is stupid.
__________________
MBA 13" | iPhone 5 | iPad mini |
www.twitter.com/ob81
ob81 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4
UrFatMom
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
If it was a major electronics store, what was the name of it? Sounds like it was a hole in the wall if you figured that you could negotiate the price.

Japan is MILES ahead of everyone else in technology. Everyone knows this. Don't improperly judge an entire country because you went into some tech shop that had an old iPod.

This thread is stupid.
I don't understand the point in it either..
__________________
I have computers too... nobody cares
UrFatMom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:08 AM   #5
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
Yes, what is the point of this thread?
__________________
You only live twice, once when you are born, and when you look death in the face. *Basho style poem from 007 YOLT.
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:31 AM   #6
bmacir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
wastelaaaaaaaaaand here we coooooomeeeee
bmacir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:10 PM   #7
puma1552
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
If it was a major electronics store, what was the name of it? Sounds like it was a hole in the wall if you figured that you could negotiate the price.

Japan is MILES ahead of everyone else in technology. Everyone knows this. Don't improperly judge an entire country because you went into some tech shop that had an old iPod.

This thread is stupid.
Think so? Why don't you try living in Japan, you might be surprised.

Japan is NOT "MILES" ahead in every aspect of technology. I'm making my judgment on spending several years living here, not creaming my pants in Akihabara on a trip and then going "OMG Japan is so far ahead OMGzorXZZZ!!" I guess if you ever come to Japan, your hopes for what a technologically advanced world it is might be shattered. As an example, most people heat their houses with kerosene space heaters.

It was Yamada denki, but unless you're living here which your knowledge shows you clearly aren't, you wouldn't know anything about it.

EDIT: Prices at electronics stores are negotiable here in Japan, but I guess that's another thing you wouldn't know. You should try not being so high and mighty. It was a light-hearted thread poking fun at something I've noticed in Japan after spending a lot of time here. In your own words, "Don't improperly judge a major electronics store as a hole in the wall just because you can negotiate the price".

Thanks for ruining the thread. Get over yourself.

Last edited by puma1552; Nov 15, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:31 PM   #8
puma1552
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Yes, what is the point of this thread?
I was kind of thinking if anyone wanted it I might be able to pick it up for them, possibly at a discount since I have no use for it.

But, as usual, the people on macrumors are too uptight so forget it. Just wasteland it.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:33 PM   #9
.Andy
macrumors 68030
 
.Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Mergui Archipelago
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
I was kind of thinking if anyone wanted it I might be able to pick it up for them, possibly at a discount since I have no use for it.
How did you communicate this in you first post?
__________________
Each man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind. Therefore, send not to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
.Andy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:39 PM   #10
puma1552
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
How did you communicate this in you first post?
As I said, "kind of thinking". Had anyone asked or expressed interest, I probably would've followed up.

The point of the thread was I thought some people might be amused by a lone iPod that hadn't sold for three years and made a light-hearted thread about it. I guess not. :|

I didn't know every thread on macrumors had a significant point or contribution to the world.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:43 PM   #11
daflake
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
As I said, "kind of thinking". Had anyone asked or expressed interest, I probably would've followed up.

The point of the thread was I thought some people might be amused by a lone iPod that hadn't sold for three years and made a light-hearted thread about it. I guess not. :|

I didn't know every thread on macrumors had a significant point or contribution to the world.
Dude, just because one guy didn't agree with you doesn't mean that you have to go ballistic. To be honest, I didn't understand what you were eluding to either. That being said, the very attitude that you hate on MacRumors you are portraying.
daflake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:45 PM   #12
justaregularjoe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Furthermore, a post with this intention kinda does belong in the Marketplace.

And don't be an ass to helplessly ignorant people. I doubt that ob81 has ever 'creamed his pants' in Japan because of technological proficiency. (except possibly in the area of CGI -_-) And you were right. He does not live in Japan, and he likely does not know the Yamada denki store chain, so he would not know that prices were negotiable. Don't act all high and mighty becuase you have this information, which is likely everyday to people like you in Japan.

In short: Don't be a dick to people on the internet, and don't post anything in anger. TCP/IP is not compatible with emotions or sarcasm, so you really need to spell these out. (Hint: Capitalization doesn't work, either.)

BTW: Epic grammar, man. Way to be.
__________________
13.3" 2011 MBP {2.4 i5, 128 GB SSD}
iPod Touch {64 GB}
justaregularjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:47 PM   #13
puma1552
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daflake View Post
Dude, just because one guy didn't agree with you doesn't mean that you have to go ballistic. To be honest, I didn't understand what you were eluding to either. That being said, the very attitude that you hate on MacRumors you are portraying.
Fair enough, I was a little heated when I wrote that post; I just didn't care for the know-it-all attitude exuded by ob81 as if he was the authority on Japan and the insinuation that I was just some anime freak on holiday here making a generalization about a country on a whim, when the fact of the matter is I live here, and Japan isn't as he thinks.

If anything he was the one that was out of line to begin with, making asinine assumptions and telling me how it is in the country in which I have been living for a few years. It irks me a little when people do that.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:49 PM   #14
puma1552
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaregularjoe View Post
And don't be an ass to helplessly ignorant people.
Well, like I said--the same can apply to ob81. I only responded in kind to his callous remarks.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:55 PM   #15
daflake
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Fair enough, I was a little heated when I wrote that post; I just didn't care for the know-it-all attitude exuded by ob81 as if he was the authority on Japan and the insinuation that I was just some anime freak on holiday here making a generalization about a country on a whim, when the fact of the matter is I live here, and Japan isn't as he thinks.

If anything he was the one that was out of line to begin with, making asinine assumptions and telling me how it is in the country in which I have been living for a few years. It irks me a little when people do that.
I totally understand, I lived in Germany for four years and many folks back home made general assumptions that were off as well. However, getting sucked down to that level will make you look like the bad guy here.

I am curious on your comments as I thought that Japan was ahead in the digitized arena. I know they are moving ahead in cellphone tech, but I guess it is easy for us to think that this applies across all platforms.
daflake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:07 PM   #16
puma1552
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daflake View Post

I am curious on your comments as I thought that Japan was ahead in the digitized arena. I know they are moving ahead in cellphone tech, but I guess it is easy for us to think that this applies across all platforms.
its hit or miss; in the areas of cell phones, they absolutely murder the rest of the world in technology (hence why the iPhone is a largely a failure amongst Japanese people), and in display technology as well (ultra HD, sony's tiny little 11 inch TV thats only a couple mm thick that runs for $2k), but then there are a lot of other areas where they are the same, or where you can even find old technology sitting on store shelves. Now that I think about it I'm not sure what American stores do when new products come out since I never see old stuff on the shelves once the new stuff is released...perhaps just send all of the old stock back to the manufacturer? Here they will wait until every last item sells until they put out the new stuff--one store as of a couple weeks ago still had an original Rev. A Macbook Air circa 2008. American, sure, but I see this with other computer brands as well.

Cameras are the same, computers are the same, most other electronics store stuff is the same as anything else you'd find as well. Also as I said, houses are primarily heated with kerosene--there are reasons for that, such as how cheap and efficient it is, and the fact homes are too small to justify central heat/ac, but the fact remains--kerosene is a far far outdated heating technology, but it's the norm--every gas station has a kerosene gas pump.

Japan is a funky mix of advanced technology mixed with way outdated technology. I still see floppy disks regularly, and someone I work with uses his personal word processor lol. I love Japan, and it's advanced in certain areas, but it's not the technological wonder that people back home always assume.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:26 PM   #17
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Think so? Why don't you try living in Japan, you might be surprised.

but unless you're living here which your knowledge shows you clearly aren't, you wouldn't know anything about it.

but I guess that's another thing you wouldn't know. You should try not being so high and mighty.

Thanks for ruining the thread. Get over yourself.
I have removed some things and only left the relevant ones. After reading those, who needs to get over themselves?

To respond to your other points:

1. How does a store, whether large or not, selling an old iPod suggest that Japan is "behind?" To be frank, it doesn't. There are many places here in the States that attempt to sell items that are outdated, and for sickeningly high prices. Does that mean the US is behind as well?

No, such an argument is invalid.

2. Having lived in Japan, I am full aware of how most people live. Space heaters are common, but this is mainly because the houses are incredibly old. And now it is simply how things are. When I was at Nanzan University, it was cold and even colder in the buildings. Did I at any point come to the conclusion that Japan is far behind? No. It is simply a different culture and that is how they roll. Once you get used to it, I quite like that I don't have a dependance on energy to stay warm. Double up your socks and bring some extra blankets and hot tea.

Now, in buildings on Campus that were built more recently, quite a few of them had installed heating units. Not quite central heating, but it gets the job done.

It gets better, our email system, was floppy based. To check your mail you pop your floppy in and run the program to download new messages. To be fair, you could put it on a pen drive as well. This wasn't no Exchange/Outlook setup. Did I think it was quirky? Yeah. But did I think this somehow changed Japan's status in technology? No. Because such an argument is invalid.

3. Many of the ideas that Japan is ahead comes from the information out there about their cellphones. I admit, the keitais are pretty awesome, but this alone are not indicative of their technological status.

Another factor is their advancements in robotics as well as the technologies they have developed to minimize the damage and casualties during natural disasters.

Many technological advancements happen in Japan. We aren't talking iPods and consumer electronics. I am talking breakthroughs that shape the technology of the future, the stuff that will end up in our iPods, etc.

I think this has caused people to posit that their technology in general is far more advanced. While this may not always be the case, I don't think an old iPod is the best argument that can be made against their technological status. Nor the use of kerosene space heaters.

Do I think Japan is far head technologically? It depends on which sense you are talking about. In a consumer sense, it is probably on par and maybe more advanced in some areas, like cellphones. If in a scientific sense, yes, I think they push the envelope and drive the industry forward. This doesn't mean no other country is or that other countries are behind. Japan is simply good at creating new technologies.

Last edited by calderone; Nov 15, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:56 PM   #18
puma1552
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
I have removed some things and only left the relevant ones. After reading those, who needs to get over themselves?

To respond to your other points:

1. How does a store, whether large or not, selling an old iPod suggest that Japan is "behind?" To be frank, it doesn't. There are many places here in the States that attempt to sell items that are outdated, and for sickeningly high prices. Does that mean the US is behind as well?

No, such an argument is invalid.

2. Having lived in Japan, I am full aware of how most people live. Space heaters are common, but this is mainly because the houses are incredibly old. And now it is simply how things are. When I was at Nanzan University, it was cold and even colder in the buildings. Did I at any point come to the conclusion that Japan is far behind? No. It is simply a different culture and that is how they roll. Once you get used to it, I quite like that I don't have a dependance on energy to stay warm. Double up your socks and bring some extra blankets and hot tea.

Now, in buildings on Campus that were built more recently, quite a few of them had installed heating units. Not quite central heating, but it gets the job done.

It gets better, our email system, was floppy based. To check your mail you pop your floppy in and run the program to download new messages. To be fair, you could put it on a pen drive as well. This wasn't no Exchange/Outlook setup. Did I think it was quirky? Yeah. But did I think this somehow changed Japan's status in technology? No. Because such an argument is invalid.

3. Many of the ideas that Japan is ahead comes from the information out there about their cellphones. I admit, the keitais are pretty awesome, but this alone are not indicative of their technological status.

Another factor is their advancements in robotics as well as the technologies they have developed to minimize the damage and casualties during natural disasters.

Many technological advancements happen in Japan. We aren't talking iPods and consumer electronics. I am talking breakthroughs that shape the technology of the future, the stuff that will end up in our iPods, etc.

I think this has caused people to posit that their technology in general is far more advanced. While this may not always be the case, I don't think an old iPod is the best argument that can be made against their technological status. Nor the use of kerosene space heaters.

Do I think Japan is far head technologically? It depends on which sense you are talking about. In a consumer sense, it is probably on par and maybe more advanced in some areas, like cellphones. If in a scientific sense, yes, I think they push the envelope and drive the industry forward. This doesn't mean no other country is or that other countries are behind. Japan is simply good at creating new technologies.
Which can pretty much be summed up with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552
I love Japan, and it's advanced in certain areas, but it's not the technological wonder that people back home always assume.
I agree with you on most points.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:41 PM   #19
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Which can pretty much be summed up with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552
I love Japan, and it's advanced in certain areas, but it's not the technological wonder that people back home always assume.
I agree with you on most points.
Except I gave an explanation for the misconception, you merely offered up half an error theory. "You are wrong about Japan's technology." But you didn't explain why they might be wrong, or why the misconception may exist.

Telling people they are wrong doesn't go over well, adding a charitable explanation fares a little better.

Even so, your post was deeply flawed from the start and when you were called out, you went rogue. If you agree with anything in my post, I hope it is that you need to get over yourself. You were far too condescending in relation to the post your responded to.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:44 PM   #20
xlii
macrumors 68000
 
xlii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millis, Massachusetts
"What we have here, is failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:52 PM   #21
steve knight
macrumors 65816
 
steve knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
how can japan be behind when they have come up with usb powered boob warmers? some on now who else would think up such a revolutionary device.
__________________
CNCrouting.biz
steve knight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:54 PM   #22
puma1552
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
Except I gave an explanation for the misconception, you merely offered up half an error theory. "You are wrong about Japan's technology." But you didn't explain why they might be wrong, or why the misconception may exist.

Telling people they are wrong doesn't go over well, adding a charitable explanation fares a little better.

Even so, your post was deeply flawed from the start and when you were called out, you went rogue. If you agree with anything in my post, I hope it is that you need to get over yourself. You were far too condescending in relation to the post your responded to.
I did explain my position on Japan's technology. You should finish reading the thread, I made a whole post about it. Hard to believe you missed it.

ob81 of course did no wrong, none at all. Perhaps I did react stronger than him, but if he's going to call my thread "stupid" and act like an authority, then he is inviting me to slam back, harder so. If he can't take the heat.......

Are you really trying to push this issue further and prove something?

Shall we really continue this circle jerk or should we just wasteland it and move on?
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:02 PM   #23
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
I did explain my position on Japan's technology. You should finish reading the thread, I made a whole post about it. Hard to believe you missed it.

ob81 of course did no wrong, none at all. Perhaps I did react stronger than him, but if he's going to call my thread "stupid" and act like an authority, then he is inviting me to slam back, harder so. If he can't take the heat.......

Are you really trying to push this issue further and prove something?

Shall we really continue this circle jerk or should we just wasteland it and move on?
Hard to believe you misunderstand my post. I was not saying you didn't state your position on technology, you didn't explain why people might have the wrong idea.

I am merely pointing out that you decided to tell people they were wrong, and you used poor examples as evidence. What you didn't do is explain why they are wrong, again, you didn't go further with your error theory. You merely said, "Hey! You are making an error!" I gave a number of possibilities for the misconception.

Circle jerk? Give me a break. You should have said: "Ok, my thread started off badly because I didn't clearly state what I was talking about, then I embarrassed myself by overreacting to the claims that my thread was pointless. I just want this thread to go away, so please stop posting in it."

That would have been closer to what you wanted to say, but it is easier to use something as crude as "circle jerk," to both minimize the positions of other posters and bring the thread to an abrupt end.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:04 PM   #24
puma1552
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
Hard to believe you misunderstand my post. I was not saying you didn't state your position on technology, you didn't explain why people might have the wrong idea.

I am merely pointing out that you decided to tell people they were wrong, and you used poor examples as evidence. What you didn't do is explain why they are wrong, again, you didn't go further with your error theory. You merely said, "Hey! You are making an error!" I gave a number of possibilities for the misconception.

Circle jerk? Give me a break. You should have said: "Ok, my thread started off badly because I didn't clearly state what I was talking about, then I embarrassed myself by overreacting to the claims that my thread was pointless. I just want this thread to go away, so please stop posting in it."

That would have been closer to what you wanted to say, but it is easier to use something as crude as "circle jerk," to both minimize the positions of other posters and bring the thread to an abrupt end.
youre slowly catching on.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:15 PM   #25
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
youre slowly catching on.
Ah, good ol' ad hominem. You got me buddy. It took me a while to realize you were trying to dart away from this train wreck of a thread.

I am glad you can admit that this thread is epic failure, masterminded by the venerable puma1552.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: Does LTE iPads from Japan work outside Japan? zhaf iPad 18 Nov 20, 2013 02:32 AM
DHCP Lease times (Short vs Long times) LFMNX Mac Peripherals 2 Apr 17, 2013 12:01 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC