Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:27 PM   #1
steller
macrumors member

New Mac User

Hi everyone,
I have been using windows ever since I first owned a computer. I recently decided to buy this fasincinating laptop as for my enter of college. I actually have no problem technically using it since it's quite user friendly. However, the greatest drawback of mac is that there isn't sufficient amount of software supported. When I visit the apple website, I find out that they have a program(actually is microsoft) sold called virtual PC. I am wondering if any of you guys has any idea how that program works and if it's worth the price. Also, if I buy that program, does it mean that my mac is capable of running all the software, file and everything? Thanks in advance.
steller is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:29 PM   #2
steller
macrumors member

I have a Powebook G4 with 1Gb RAM running under panther. In addition to my questions posted in the previous message, I would also like to know is that program only available to jaugar user? thanks again.
steller is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:42 PM   #3
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Microsoft is releasing Virtual PC 7 sometime "soon" - latest reports are mid October. It keeps getting pushed back, but it will ship eventually. Anyway, if possible, I'd wait for that instead of buying VPC 6.1.

However, even with VPC 6.1 - which does run on Panther - you'll be able to do almost anything you can on the PC - apps, files, etc. But please note that it will run much slower. Emulating Windows 98 and Windows 2000 is apparently a lot faster than doing so with XP, but it's still fairly slow.

Hence, no games, really. No graphically intensive apps. But Office, etc., will run fine if slow.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:01 PM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steller
Hi everyone,
I have been using windows ever since I first owned a computer. I recently decided to buy this fasincinating laptop as for my enter of college. I actually have no problem technically using it since it's quite user friendly. However, the greatest drawback of mac is that there isn't sufficient amount of software supported. When I visit the apple website, I find out that they have a program(actually is microsoft) sold called virtual PC. I am wondering if any of you guys has any idea how that program works and if it's worth the price. Also, if I buy that program, does it mean that my mac is capable of running all the software, file and everything? Thanks in advance.
Most non-game programs will work just fine under VPC (Visual Studio, MS's development environment, included). Anything that uses DirectX and many games are either too slow to be usable or fail to work completely. Also, sound support in VPC isn't all that great - I'd stay away from Winamp and any other sound applications (including Windows Media Player) for that reason when you are using VPC.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion