Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:22 PM   #1
digiphantom
macrumors member

Returning defect item to Applecare

Hey all,

This is a rather stupid question. Applecare service was great and sent me a replacement battery for my mbp within 1 day. Now I need to send back the defective battery with the pre-paid fedex postage box.

I checked fedex's webpage, but there's only drop-boxes near where I live. There's also a dropbox right outside my workplace's building.

I know in the included letter, it states you must hand the package off to a Fed-Ex rep and Apple isn't responsible for the package being lost in the drop-off box.

Have you guys, just dropped off the package in a dropoff box and things have been ok? Otherwise, the only other alternative is to schedule a pick-up with the Fed-Ex guy but that means I have to wait around.

Thanks.
digiphantom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:45 PM   #2
theblueone
macrumors member

This is largely based on guessing, but I think FedEx will pretty reliably get your package back to Apple even if you leave it in a drop-box. I imagine this rule came of necessity to combat the, "it was lost in the mail" excuse by those who, for whatever reason, failed to return their defective hardware. If I recall correctly from tracking previous packages, the FedEx person will scan whatever packages they pick up from their drop boxes immediately, so even if it is lost after that, it's on FedEx, and not you. The only risk you'd have lies in the security of the drop box itself or the reliability/trustworthiness of the driver, neither of which would make me uneasy.

As part of a job, I shipped and received packages with FedEx and UPS daily. A couple of times, I took in packages of my own, and the drivers didn't mind getting them in the system for me. That might be an option for you if you know anyone in shipping/receiving department at your company.

Last edited by theblueone; Nov 15, 2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: left some stuff out
theblueone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:34 PM   #3
DesignerOnMac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiphantom View Post
Hey all,

This is a rather stupid question. Applecare service was great and sent me a replacement battery for my mbp within 1 day. Now I need to send back the defective battery with the pre-paid fedex postage box.

I checked fedex's webpage, but there's only drop-boxes near where I live. There's also a dropbox right outside my workplace's building.

I know in the included letter, it states you must hand the package off to a Fed-Ex rep and Apple isn't responsible for the package being lost in the drop-off box.

Have you guys, just dropped off the package in a dropoff box and things have been ok? Otherwise, the only other alternative is to schedule a pick-up with the Fed-Ex guy but that means I have to wait around.

Thanks.
If there is a drop box outside your work place, call FedEx and schedule a pickup at your office. Or check the times for the pickups and meet the driver at the drop off box. I have done this many times.
DesignerOnMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:13 PM   #4
thecheda
macrumors 6502

Side question.

Kind of a side note, but why was it replaced.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:28 PM   #5
digiphantom
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheda View Post
Kind of a side note, but why was it replaced.
I've had the mbp for 21 months now and the battery cycle was showing only 53 (it actually stopped adding up a few months ago), with the health at 16% and charge only lasting for 30 mins.
digiphantom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:35 AM   #6
alphaod
macrumors Core

Do you live in an apartment complex or is it a house? If it's the latter, just leave it outside… I always do.

If it's really bad, you can call Apple to see if they can make other arrangements.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice