Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:40 PM   #1
thriii
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Change Location of Documents Folder?

Is there any way I can change the location of the Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, and Sites folder thats in the home folder? I have these exact folder names on another drive (my data drive) but was wondering if there is a way i can get the official folders on the other hd so i can have my boot drive and data drive separate
thriii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:36 PM   #2
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
This may interest you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:46 PM   #3
thriii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
thriii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:13 PM   #4
RogersDA
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
System Preferences - Accounts - Right-click on the username (after making sure the lock at the bottom of this dialog box is "unlocked") - Advanced Options - Home Directory - Choose
RogersDA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:15 PM   #5
thriii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersDA View Post
System Preferences - Accounts - Right-click on the username (after making sure the lock at the bottom of this dialog box is "unlocked") - Advanced Options - Home Directory - Choose
is there any other way without movin the home directory?
thriii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:51 PM   #6
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriii View Post
is there any other way without movin the home directory?
Yes, the link I offered explains one possible solution.

You don't have to move your home folder by using symbolic links.

Both symbolic links and moving the home folder have the same downfall: If the location you are writing to or reading from is not available, you might run into problems including but not limited to data loss.

An example of a symbolic link:

Code:
ln -s /Volumes/Drive/Documents Documents
You would do this in Terminal. It will create a symbolic link in your current directory pointing to a directory somewhere else. In this case Documents points to /Volumes/Drive/Documents

You could even do a symbolic link for your entire home folder, avoiding the use of the Advanced option in System Preferences/Accounts.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:41 AM   #7
thriii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
Yes, the link I offered explains one possible solution.

You don't have to move your home folder by using symbolic links.

Both symbolic links and moving the home folder have the same downfall: If the location you are writing to or reading from is not available, you might run into problems including but not limited to data loss.

An example of a symbolic link:

Code:
ln -s /Volumes/Drive/Documents Documents
You would do this in Terminal. It will create a symbolic link in your current directory pointing to a directory somewhere else. In this case Documents points to /Volumes/Drive/Documents

You could even do a symbolic link for your entire home folder, avoiding the use of the Advanced option in System Preferences/Accounts.
Dont want to cause any possible problems.. I just want the Documents,Downloads,Music,Movies folders under "Places" in finder to goto the right folder.. If I drag the folders there from my data drive it shows the plain folder icon.. i want the same kinda icons that are in the left sidebar after places if possible
thriii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:58 AM   #8
jMc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London N8, Late-16th Century
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriii View Post
Dont want to cause any possible problems.. I just want the Documents,Downloads,Music,Movies folders under "Places" in finder to goto the right folder.. If I drag the folders there from my data drive it shows the plain folder icon.. i want the same kinda icons that are in the left sidebar after places if possible
So you just want the icons? You're not worried about about getting rid of those folder from your Home directory?

Ok, try this..

Highlight one of the folders in your local Home directory and Get Info (cmd-I). At the very top of the Get Info window, below the title bar and above Spotlight Comments should be the folder icon with the folder name and date modified to the right of it. Click on this icon and it should highlight. Cmd-C to copy it. Now go find the folder you want to replace the icon on, Get Info on it, highlight the icon as before and then cmd-V to paste the icon on to it.

jx
__________________
The Time Traveller, Smith, a eNovella by JC McLaughlin also available on the Apple eBookstore...
jMc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:02 AM   #9
thriii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jMc View Post
So you just want the icons? You're not worried about about getting rid of those folder from your Home directory?

Ok, try this..

Highlight one of the folders in your local Home directory and Get Info (cmd-I). At the very top of the Get Info window, below the title bar and above Spotlight Comments should be the folder icon with the folder name and date modified to the right of it. Click on this icon and it should highlight. Cmd-C to copy it. Now go find the folder you want to replace the icon on, Get Info on it, highlight the icon as before and then cmd-V to paste the icon on to it.

jx
it works if I were to goto the data drive and look at the folders, but if you open the finder and you look at somethin like the "Downloads" folder you see a white down arrow and a green circle.. but if you goto the home folder you dont see that same arrow/green circle.. im tryin to have the icons from under "Places" show up the same as they r so i can replace the folders there with the 1s from my Data drive.. leaving the folder sin the Home Dir is fine since i dont plan on using them.. helpful tip tho! never knew u could paste icons like that
thriii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:08 AM   #10
jMc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London N8, Late-16th Century
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriii View Post
it works if I were to goto the data drive and look at the folders, but if you open the finder and you look at somethin like the "Downloads" folder you see a white down arrow and a green circle.. but if you goto the home folder you dont see that same arrow/green circle.. im tryin to have the icons from under "Places" show up the same as they r so i can replace the folders there with the 1s from my Data drive.. leaving the folder sin the Home Dir is fine since i dont plan on using them.. helpful tip tho! never knew u could paste icons like that
You mean the coloured icons in the sidebar? Sorry, can't help you with those. But those icons must be available in the system somewhere, so it might just be a case of locating them and doing the old copy and paste thing (although these icons would then also be seen in standard finder windows as well as the side bar). Maybe that some lovely MacRumors member already knows where those assets are...

jx
__________________
The Time Traveller, Smith, a eNovella by JC McLaughlin also available on the Apple eBookstore...
jMc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:41 PM   #11
aaronvogel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
new twist

I'm actually looking for the symbolic link answer...

I want the "Downloads" folder my home directory to be a symbolic link to the "Downloads" folder on my external so that all the programs with "Downloads" as the default location for files will still work, but all the files will actually go to the external folder.

However, Finder won't let me delete or replace the original "Downloads" folder in my home directory.

Any help? Perhaps I'll try loggin in as another admin...
aaronvogel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 03:59 PM   #12
skiffx
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriii View Post
it works if I were to goto the data drive and look at the folders, but if you open the finder and you look at somethin like the "Downloads" folder you see a white down arrow and a green circle.. but if you goto the home folder you dont see that same arrow/green circle.. im tryin to have the icons from under "Places" show up the same as they r so i can replace the folders there with the 1s from my Data drive.. leaving the folder sin the Home Dir is fine since i dont plan on using them.. helpful tip tho! never knew u could paste icons like that
Have you figured out how to change icons in the sidebar under places after you do the ln -s for certain folders?

Edit: Ok whats needed is to drag the folder from the other drive and not the link...

Last edited by skiffx; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
skiffx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I change back to the Default Documents Folder? JustJo Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 May 15, 2014 10:42 PM
Change home folder to network location acochran Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 1 May 23, 2013 01:06 AM
Change home folder to network location acochran OS X 1 Apr 14, 2013 08:50 AM
Possible to change location of trash folder? eoren1 Mac Basics and Help 1 Feb 13, 2013 11:05 AM
Unable to make changes to Documents folder in my User Folder spacedesign911 OS X 1 Jul 5, 2012 10:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC