Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:18 PM   #1
mackristoffer
macrumors newbie

How to activate speakers when headset is plugged in

Hi. I am completely new to mac.

Is there any way to use the built in speakers in a mac while the headset is plugged in?

I live in a collective, so I can not use the speakers 50% of the time. When I plug in the Headset, the speakers go off.
And I have not found a way to activate the speakers without plugging out the headset.

I have had bad experiences with plugging the headset in and out several times a day in the past.
At some point it will start making noise and not function properly.

Do anyone of you have any experience with changing the sound output without plugging the headset in/out?

Thanks in advance
mackristoffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
You can't use both at the same time. You should be able to "activate" your speakers simply by increasing the volume when unplugged.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:19 AM   #3
mackristoffer
macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick reply.

I consider the problem solved, as you say: There is no way around it but unplugging.
mackristoffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4
chill.
macrumors 6502

if you have a pair of external speakers then you can get an audio splitter for about $6 to keep both speakers/headset plugged in at same time.

a very very cheap pair of external speakers would probably also perform better than the built-in ones
chill. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help