Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ed423

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
hey guys. new to the forum and to my iphone 3g, first of all, hi to all. i recieved GREAT help from my first post already, so i know this is THE FORUM that ima be stickign to.

so i was wondeirng, is it jsut me, or do you guys think that the cleaning cloth that came with the iphone is great. it seems to wipe off dust and smudges better than other cloth.

with that said, i ahve no protector screen on [i tired, but crazy bubbles, so i threw it away and decided to go naked, no scratches so far] the ohnly problem i have is smudges. would a protector prevent smudges? or thers gonna be smudges on the screen anwyays.

:apple:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I have a screen protector on mine and it still gets smudges on the screen. After awhile I learnt to ignore them until they get really bad. At that point I get the cloth out.

ed423

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
i tired other cloth, but seems like the one apple came with works the best. wish they sold extra packs of it tho, but it'd probably be over priced, just liek their docks and headphones and chargers and cables. :(

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I lost my original cloth and now just use my shirt. I don't really miss it much.

Yeah, go naked. I'm not into protection. Seriously though, the screen itself is fairly robust if you take care of it.

2of3

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Bracknell, Berkshire
A screen protector and a rubber skin actually saved my iPhone from being destroyed by my 6 month old puppy, imagine my horror when returning to the living room to see my beloved iPhone in the jaws of my puppy, i swear down that screen protector and rubber skin remains the best £10 i have ever spent in my life :)

ed423

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
lol my gf got me a pack of three screen protector. So I guess I will put one on and not have a naked screen. Anyone got tips to put thes things on without bubbles?

jmann

macrumors 604
I attach it firmly at one end, and then I place the edge of a credit card on the top and pull up on the loose end of the protector and slowly slide the card to the other side while applying pressure that way it forces the screen protector flat and prevents bubbles.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
The only ones that I have seen that don't leave any bubbles are the Crystal Support antiglare films. The regular Crystal Support left some bubbles.

What brand are the ones you have?

ed423

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
lol mine isn't anything fancy. Just some cheap protector from amazon.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
The biggest problem I have had is dirt. If you have any dust underneath the screen protector bubbles seem to appear. So what I did is steam up a bathroom with the shower. Then let the steam out. Once it is not overly steamy (you don't want to trip the water sensor) then go apply the screen protector. I used screen cleaner spray and a micro fibre cloth to get the screen perfect before hand.

The steam gets the dust out of the air. (or so i am told) This worked almost perfectly for me. I have two tiny specs of dirt underneath mine in the bottom right. They are very small and not in the way. So I don't know if it want to try fix it. Or replace the screen protector. Its probably not worth it.

ed423

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
thanks bro, i'll def. try the steam thing tongiht. hope it wroks!

ed423

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
HTML:
Just be sure you don't have to much steam. Let the steam out of the room first. 

And its not my fault if the sensor trips...

ahah dont worry. ima just do it after i shower. wont be overly steamy

ed423

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
I DID IT! i combiend the method of jmann and train guy and successfully isntalled it without any bubbles. i left my phone on the counter while i take a shower, after i done showering, i put my clothes on (time to let steam go) then i used jamnn's way of using a credit card(i used some other card) and slowly press the air out while putting it on and BAM!
but so far idk if im likign the protector or not thoguh, feels better when its naked, ;) but i guess its jsut that i needa get use to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.