Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:10 AM   #1
MindZ
macrumors newbie

MOBO MDD G4 from 167MHz to 200MHz?

HI I have a MDD and a dual processor with a motherboard running 167MHz that I want to run 200MHz.

I know that you can change the speed from 133MHz to 167MHz by taking away one resistor on the motherboards backside ( and I think for taking the motherboard out I have to take out one screw from the motherboard and one from the CPU/heatsink?)

So which resistors can make the diffidence to 200MHZ.

I have the faster ddr2 3200 ram so that part of it should be OK. But what other problems has to be solved too?
Thanks Hans-Christian
MindZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:42 AM   #2
300D
Banned

You'll burn out the board.
300D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:53 AM   #3
MindZ
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your interest and advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300D View Post
You'll burn out the board.
But how do you know? At the moment my 1.33 is running at a constant temp of 44,5 degrease C after I did some modifications to the cooling inspired by others. I have another that is stable around 55C using Verax system seen on other sites.

I have been looking for days on the web and the chance from 133 to 167 is well documented in English on a French website with pictures. As I have a spare board and a 1.33 xserve processor I am willing to try but not experiment without gathering information from other how might have tried.
The rise in speed is only 20%.
So how do you know?

When I look at the overclocking of mdd cpu there seems to be a pattern with the multiplication from the basic speed. I was wondering if it is a binary count but I cant figure it out. If it is so there might be a similar way for these 4 resistors.

Thanks Hans-Christian
MindZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs