Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jul 30, 2004, 05:01 AM   #1
Machead III
macrumors 6502

The best iTunes/iPod idea ever, you better be listening Steve!

Ok, imagine this:

Heathrow Airport, it's 5am in the morning and the place is crammed with travellers and holiday makers. Your flight to JFK has been delayed 3 hours due to bad weather and this will probably mean a much slower flight too. You get out your iPod mini and flick through a playlist or too, looking for something to do. Nothing. Then, you notice a bunch of kiosks a few meters away. You get up an go have a look, it's an iTunes Music Store kiosk selling tunes and audiobooks tax free (it is an airport of course). You bung you pod in the little dock at the top, log into the store, pick out Bill brysons "I'm A Stranger Here Too" and using the ultra fast internet connection purchase over 5 hours of something-to-do. You finish by splashing out on a few Cure CDs and your set for the enitre journey. You might have splashed out a bit, but that's 7 less hours of wasted life, and Apple will be happy with that impulse buy.
- Noam Chomsky

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man!"
- Che Guevara (moments before assassination)
Machead III is offline   0
Old Jul 30, 2004, 05:10 AM   #2
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

I don't mind, but seriously, anyone going overseas would have their iPod set up with stuff they like. I like the idea, but the number of people who would actually take advantage of this is an issue. Yes, iPod is the #1 selling mp3 player in the world, and they have a 70% marketshare or something like that, but even Apple will admit that the mp3 player market isn't so big (2% or so). If you take that into consideration, and realize that Apple only has 70% of that 2% of people who care about having an mp3 player as opposed to a CD player or something, then there aren't a lot of people who can take advantage of this.

And of course, the small, small number of people who CAN take advantage of this iTMS Duty Free store may not. I'd think that only 5% or so would even bother. That's 5% of the 1.4%. That's not much.

Of course, I'm making these percentages up, but the point is that the percentages will be very very very small.

I like the idea, though.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 06:29 AM   #3
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

I wonder when they have these kiosks inside Apple Stores?

What better place to start
Old Jul 30, 2004, 06:36 AM   #4
hansen
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to hansen Send a message via Yahoo to hansen
First, it could be an addition to the existing bookshops existing in every airport (and does it have to be an airport?).

Second, they could sell iPod's as well for those who doesn't have one. With so many ours to spend, there might be people considering it.

It could be a lounge/cafe arrangement so I could sit down listening to my book in a comfi chair and have a latte with it.
hansen is offline   0
Old Jul 30, 2004, 06:46 AM   #5
Machead III
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansen
First, it could be an addition to the existing bookshops existing in every airport (and does it have to be an airport?).

Second, they could sell iPod's as well for those who doesn't have one. With so many ours to spend, there might be people considering it.

It could be a lounge/cafe arrangement so I could sit down listening to my book in a comfi chair and have a latte with it.
Good ideas. I was thinking it is rather a no brainer to sell tax free iPods, maybe with a little Apple discount to bolster the desire of bored business men and women on the move.
- Noam Chomsky

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man!"
Old Jul 30, 2004, 06:48 AM   #6
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Interesting idea. I can even see them at music festivals and such. Get people to buy when their minds are in tune. Or trapped.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Savage Henry
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
I don't mind, but seriously, anyone going overseas would have their iPod set up with stuff they like.
If people were so prepared for their trips, airports would have no need for outlets selling travel plugs, luggage straps, insect repellant etc. The places are notorious for swarming with insufficuently prepared people.

Personally I would put the booth in the exec lounges where you can enjoy your newly purschased tracks without three-year-olds bouncing on the chair behind you, or passengers with overloaded luggage trolleys knocking your feet every 20 seconds.

But after ranting all of that, I totally agree with your numbers and don't think the low percentage market will suffice such a venture.

From the I Ching
Savage Henry is offline   0
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:14 AM   #8
varmit
macrumors 68000

Its nice, but until you can get your music off your iPod again to your Mac or PC, it wont be something that is explored. Apple doesn't let you get your music off the iPod yet, but with a fireware update or something to reconize the "not bought at my Mac" songs, Apple could allow it.

Phish had them at one of their music festivals, where people could come and upload their music to their iPods for free. It is a great way to give out a new song before its relieased, or to special not on any record song. This will get people to come to concerts to pick up the song. Now if someone can get it automated, plug iPod in, song transfers, pull iPod out, Next please. All without needing to hit another button.

Hell, Apple could throw such and event, and your ticket is your iPod, and you get a few songs from the artist or full CDs right to your iPod (full CD if the cost is worth giving out for free). Free to get in if you have an iPod, couple bucks if you don't, and Apple sells iPods outside the concert. Or Apple could open up shop in a Stadium or Concert hall, giving out a few songs with the iPods.

Last edited by varmit; Jul 30, 2004 at 08:26 AM.
varmit is offline   0
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:55 AM   #9
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Yeah, I remember a few bands, or maybe it was at a music festival, where they had a tent full of iMacs that people could use to purchase the music they just heard at the concert around 10 minutes after the band finished their set. So a band plays their 5 songs, they leave, and 10 minutes later, you can go to the Apple tent to get a burned CD audio copy (no mp3's, just an audio CD) of what you just heard. It could work for the iPod, or any mp3 players, as well.

But again, I don't think the airport idea would work because of the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machead III
Good ideas. I was thinking it is rather a no brainer to sell tax free iPods, maybe with a little Apple discount to bolster the desire of bored business men and women on the move.
They do.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 09:26 AM   #10
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

I really like that idea.

Everything is becoming a kiosk, you can even rent movies/games nowadays from walkup machines...

Of course Apple would have to flex their tight integration with iTunes so you can put songs on your iPod without having to sync (meaning your library.xml file would also be updated). Or can you do this already? Perhaps a version of iTunes that can use the iPod as the music library directly without the need for storing information on the local hard disk?

The argument that nobody would use these is ridiculous. Don't limit yourself to airports -throw em in malls, apple stores, airports, fast food restaurants, etc. and you will see lines for the apple music store kiosks.

If you make it, they will come.
jeremy.king is offline   0
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:11 AM   #11
whenpaulsparks
macrumors regular

what i think they should do, is cattle prod cities or companies to go to the WiMAX standard, and enable it on the ipod. then wherever you are, downtown, in an airport, driving in your car... and you want some music you haven't bought yet, you can browse the itunes music store right there and buy from anywhere. there's been a few times that would be handy to me.
whenpaulsparks is offline   0
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:31 AM   #12
Machead III
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by whenpaulsparks
what i think they should do, is cattle prod cities or companies to go to the WiMAX standard, and enable it on the ipod. then wherever you are, downtown, in an airport, driving in your car... and you want some music you haven't bought yet, you can browse the itunes music store right there and buy from anywhere. there's been a few times that would be handy to me.
I think Apple might have some jiggery pokery up it's sleeve with this whole Motarola venture. Hooking your iPod up to your cell and buying some music would be so UNBELIEVABLY awesome. I am going to the south of France in a few days, and anyone that has been will know, unless you find 5000 breadstores in one town a turn on, and don't mind lack of mental stimuli, it's damn boring. I am stocking up on tunes and audiobooks no,w and am hoping I will have enough, otherwise I'm screwed. With a cell hpone hook up type thing, this sort of problem, which I imagine is very common, will disapear.

Anyway I think Apple needs to be more aggresive with it's music business. Over here in the UK, there have been no ads for the store, the mini and for a long time, the iPod. They need to be flooding Europe, Asia and the US with ads, striking deals with people like McDonalds in countires besides America, BEFORE a second rate low life like Sony nudges in. I wan't kiosks in Dixons! An Apple ampitheater in London! A GIANT STATUE OF A MINI IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ATLANTIC VISIBLE FOM PLANES!...
- Noam Chomsky

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion