Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Supposedly this was fixed with 10.6.2

Anyone else still experiencing this?

walshb6413

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2006
Salem, OR
Still got it. 10.6.2 came loaded on my new i7, and persists even after a clean install from the disc. Ugh.

Those of you getting replacements (that ordered online), are they shipping a new one out first before you send it back? I can't be without a machine that long...

missm

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
i'm on my third machine now. the first one had it, the second one had a start up issue. I was told the second one was a part of a new shipment that apple sent claiming they had fixed the issue. We'll see.

fahne23

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
Screen flicker here with 2.8 i7. You either have to call and get an RMA (return authorization) first where you ship it back to them and then they ship a new one. OR do a refund and reorder, where you order a new one, and then ship the bad one back and refund your card. Either way, I was told that the demand is still putting on the 7 - 10 day estimated ship date.

walshb6413

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2006
Salem, OR
Just got off the phone..

They told me a HAD to go to an Apple store to initiate the replacement, gave me an appointment and a case #. Guess they'll take it in there and order a new one. Here comes another 2 weeks (more?) without an iMac :(

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
my i7 came with 10.6.2 and flickers / blackouts like mad. apple has declared it DOA and i am forced to ship it back and wait for a new one. fun. :mad:

i can totally handle being the one or two guys who gets unlucky and gets a bad computer but what really pisses me off is being one of hundreds or thousands with the same darn problem which means poor design and quality control in the first place on the part of apple.

type in imac 27 flickering into youtube or google and let the games begin.

mstew201

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Same here...

I was having the same blackout issue with my 27 inch core duo. Took it back and had them order me the i7. Keeping fingers crossed that by the time mine ships out the will have solved the issue. I'm already going to be down 2-3 weeks and can't afford to be down any longer.

A319

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Hi,

New to IMAC and this site but I been following this website regarding delivery of my new IMAC 27" I7 that arrived on the 20th of November. Dreading the worst having read about the screen flicker and blackout I turned mine on and it worked perfectly..... Well for 4 days then it started to flicker and had a couple of blackouts.

Called Apple care who asked me to reset the screen using PRAM and it was fine again for 4 days and today it happened again. Been talking to Apple today and they told me they were aware of the problems with this new model and said that the problem should have been fixed on the newer shippings and that's why they held of production for a short while.
I'm having mine replaced, don't know yet when I get it but get to keep my faulty one (only flickers every 3 or 4 days) until the new one arrives. The faulty one will be picked up by Apple maximum 14 days after I've received my new one. I live in London btw.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Hi,

I'm having mine replaced, don't know yet when I get it but get to keep my faulty one (only flickers every 3 or 4 days) until the new one arrives. The faulty one will be picked up by Apple maximum 14 days after I've received my new one. I live in London btw.

Not doubting you but I thought that in the UK you had 14 days to return it once RMA is issued. In the mean time they order your replacement but it's pending until they have confirmation from UK Warehouse that your faulty unit has been received and checked in - only then does your order for replacement "go live". I'm sure they've possibly made an exception in your case but thought I'd flag it in case you had been mis-informed on the usual UK procedure - otherwise you would be in for an eternal wait.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Not yet, I haven't seen any of the problems that have been encountered so far. I was very apprehensive about unboxing yesterday but everything has been great so far.

A319

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
SPCDUST,

This is a part of what my email says- sent directly from the person I talked to from customer care:

"Following from our conversation in relation to the return and replacement for the product identified above please review the details on this e-mail in relation to your request to receive a replacement product before returning the original one. Please confirm in reply that you agree to these terms and conditions if you wish to proceed.

Upon receipt of your e-mail agreement we will release your replacement into production to be prepared and shipped to you. Once the replacement is delivered to you we will allow 5 business days before we instruct Apple's designated carrier, TNT, to contact you to organise and collect the product identified above. Once collected the product is returned to Apple's warehouse, verified and booked in. There is no further obligation on you once this is completed."

Regards

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
SPCDUST,

This is a part of what my email says- sent directly from the person I talked to from customer care:

"Following from our conversation in relation to the return and replacement for the product identified above please review the details on this e-mail in relation to your request to receive a replacement product before returning the original one. Please confirm in reply that you agree to these terms and conditions if you wish to proceed.

Upon receipt of your e-mail agreement we will release your replacement into production to be prepared and shipped to you. Once the replacement is delivered to you we will allow 5 business days before we instruct Apple's designated carrier, TNT, to contact you to organise and collect the product identified above. Once collected the product is returned to Apple's warehouse, verified and booked in. There is no further obligation on you once this is completed."

Regards

Well, couldn't be much clearer than that:eek:

Just as an aside, I'm also in the process of exchanging my iMac, due to unacceptable HDD noise, I received the standard RMA number e-mail and that my replacement is ordered with a future despatch date - HOWEVER there is no record of a new order/replacement when I log into my Apple Store account - just the previous order. Is that the same case as yourself or can you see the replacement order in the "Track Order" part of your account? I did note that the replacement order has the same order number as the original.

A319

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
I'm in the same situation as you, only the old track order is to be found. I'm not in a rush the longer they take the better chance there is that all these problems will be solved.....At least so I hope ???

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I'm in the same situation as you, only the old track order is to be found. I'm not in a rush the longer they take the better chance there is that all these problems will be solved.....At least so I hope ???

With you on that one - although before Christmas would be ideal.

A319

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Latest update,

Today I got my replacement IMAC I7 27" from week 50, no cracked screen, no dead pixels, no immediate signs of flickering screen........WOHOO :)

Oh....................................

And no airport card installed ! :mad: so another faulty IMAC received. Been talking to Apple care just now and they promised me theat I would receive a perfect one next time..............."Just like the last time!?" I said with a short break followed by : "NO thank you!" Going to get a refund and no more Apple for a while. Both faulty IMACS to be picked up this week and I shall be waiting for the refund.

Wish you lot good luck with your new IMAC's and I shall wait and see what happens with this product. Sooo disappointed :(

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Latest update,

Today I got my replacement IMAC I7 27" from week 50, no cracked screen, no dead pixels, no immediate signs of flickering screen........WOHOO :)

Oh....................................

And no airport card installed ! :mad: so another faulty IMAC received. Been talking to Apple care just now and they promised me theat I would receive a perfect one next time..............."Just like the last time!?" I said with a short break followed by : "NO thank you!" Going to get a refund and no more Apple for a while. Both faulty IMACS to be picked up this week and I shall be waiting for the refund.

Wish you lot good luck with your new IMAC's and I shall wait and see what happens with this product. Sooo disappointed :(

Sorry to hear of the troubles. What disappointment. I think I must be nuts for ordering one. So it's the Apple Care guys you have to deal with, when you get a faulty one, not the store service number? Just want to be ready in case I have trouble. Thanks.

A319

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
You call technical support then if they are unable to fix it they will forward you to customer care who will then arrange a new replacement or refund. I've sent them a written complaint about the lack of quality and will let you know if they reply, I doubt they will but need to get rid of my frustrations about this as I have been looking forward to get one (that works) like a small kid waiting for the Xmas presents.

If I were you I would cancel the order and wait 2 or 3 months by then hopefully all problems are fixed. I might do the same- in the meantime I will keep an eye on people's feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.