Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I'm going to be making some "welcome to Mac" videos for switchers and over-all education in the subject of the Apple company. These will include "getting started" with the OS and even history of the company as well as hands-on with the many models.

Any suggestions for a video topic is welcome! I'm planning on starting next month so I need a full stock of ideas!

Here's my ad, to give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3yfFUwXy4A

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
Sound and video quality are really good. If you plan on producing more you probably want to get rights to the images and music you use in the video.

HowieR32

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
How about an add describing "how to install and uninstall programs in Mac OSX"?

[10 second ad]

"how to install applications on OSX"

[screen shot of mounted dmg file on desktop]

Mouse pointer double clicks the image to show the .app file.

Mouse drags .app file into applications folder.

Done.

"How to uninstall apps on OS X"

Mouse opens finder to applications folder

Mouse drags app to the bin.

Done.

This is one of the greatest revelations to me when I switched to Mac. When I installed programs I just didn't know what to do. All the mounted disk image had was a file and a shortcut to the applications folder. I guess I didn't believe it was that easy.

So when I had to delete an application, it was even worse. I looked everywhere for a 'uninstall' tab in the 'system preferences' pane... Then I looked inside the contents of the app for a 'uninstall' executable... After reading the "readme" file of another app I downloaded, I realised all you had to do was just Trash it. UNBELIEVABLE. No more running .dll removal tools, looking for orphaned files, app generated folders all over my hdd. I was just amazed how simple it was. I show it to my friends and colleagues and they look at me with bewilderment, "what? That's it? that's all there is to it?"

A short clip like that would take only 10 seconds to do. No voice over required, just some cool music!

Whaddyathink?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I hadn't thought of that, thanks. As I see it, it would be fit as a composition. Showing how easy MANY things in OS X are, so easy in fact, you can show several in only thirty seconds, haha.

While Microsoft is trying to show us how to flail a window across our desktop to hide the others in a complete thirty second segment.

Thanks.

Afterward, I'll do SOMETHING about the iMac. I'm P.O.'d that Apple hasn't already shown people the iMac is an all-in-one! Ideas?

I'm thinking of something like:

"With all that power and functionality, you may ask, "where's the tower", but did you ever think "who needs one?" Introducing the new iMac, super-computer speed without the super computer clutter".

HowieR32

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
You could do it as a side-by-side comparison of the two tasks against a Windows screen.

All you'd have to do is find an application that is available on BOTH platforms and show the INSTALL/UNINSTALL process.

The 10 second (might have to add 5 minutes to finish the rest of the windows process) ad would just be a quick pot-shot at the way WINDOWS forces users to go through an unnecessary ordeal, just to do the most basic and simplest of tasks.

Of course, that doesn't apply to ALL OSX applications. Some require an install.pkg to be run that does a verification process to install on a volume, etc with user install options.

I think the best ads don't need to show how cool a 'feature' is on a product, but to show how GOOD the fundamentals of a system are, one that will really question the audience into thinking how they approach something.

For example, show people just how goddamn annoying it is to install WINDOWS with all their 'Genuine Advantage' malware and their constant back-to-base monitoring of the product keys. I believe Apple does not even ask for a serial key. I can't remember. The ONLY time I've ever had to install OSX was when I upgraded from Leopard -> Snow Leopard. Otherwise all my Macs are still on their first install; another thing Mac users enjoy.

H

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I'm not going to use Apple's tactics of beating Microsoft down to make their self look bigger in perspective. I just want to show people MacOS and let them be wowed.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I simply can't live without spaces after having it. When I'm making movies, my ENTIRE screen needs to be about the movie, while my other is exporting music/video or I'm browsing the web on another space.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The video looks good, although I'm not sure how well Apple itself would respond to using their logos/likeness and music (iPhone?). It would be advisable to get usage rights cleared through them.

So when I had to delete an application, it was even worse. I looked everywhere for a 'uninstall' tab in the 'system preferences' pane... Then I looked inside the contents of the app for a 'uninstall' executable... After reading the "readme" file of another app I downloaded, I realised all you had to do was just Trash it. UNBELIEVABLE. No more running .dll removal tools, looking for orphaned files, app generated folders all over my hdd. I was just amazed how simple it was. I show it to my friends and colleagues and they look at me with bewilderment, "what? That's it? that's all there is to it?"

Well, not all Mac applications completely uninstall that easily. Some applications add extensions and libraries to other locations on the hard disk, but thankfully most of those applications have documented uninstall processes and sometimes, even removal tools. Therefore, I'd be careful touting that as a benefit in an educational video production.

HowieR32

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
^ You're absolutely right. That's why I said that it can't be said for all mac OSX applications.

However, if you remember the XP days (which some still prefer today), sometimes an uninstall process doesn't remove the actual application listing in its add/remove programs database. You'll click to try to remove and it will tell you that it no longer exists or some other meaningless error. Not to mention DLL hell that some people go through.

The fundamental reason how this works is that OS X applications are 'packaged' so the user doesn't see what's inside, as it's irrelevant to the basic running of the application. Once you open up the system files of an application to a user, the likelihood of unintended disruption to the file structure is introduced.

The fact is, even the most COMPLEX install of anything in OS X is still far better than the EASIEST install of an application within Windows.

MrCheeto, my idea isn't meant to bash windows, but if you show the composition in isolation I think users of PCs will definitely know the difference.

FUNDAMENTALS... That's what mac ads should be about. Show them the fundamental strength of the OS and people will understand the rest.

Why such a short < 10 sec ad? Because I lose attention so very quickly and I suffer from ADHD. I couldn't even stay tuned to your spaces ad, even though it's a great educational ad showing the strength of the OS X work space management system.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Copying the Apple ads, music and adding the Apple logo at the end ruins it for me. You do a good job at keeping it simple and you clearly know how to use the software (OSX and whatever video editing software you're using) so why not make it YOUR OWN. If you love OSX, show us in your own way instead of copying Apple's approach. Music is the easiest place to start since everyone has their own personal music library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.