Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
What settings are you running it on? I can't really tell because the video is grainy but from what I watched it looked like it runs well.

Yeah, I'm not sure why but it was extremely bad quality from my iPhone.

I'm doing 720x480 resolution with automatic settings for textures and shaders. I don't get any frame drops even running into a field of smoke.

vaderhater245

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
from watching the video, it seems certainly playable for on-the-go type CoD fix. very impressed.

edit: does steam carry your stats when you switch from one computer to the next? I'd be interested but i dont to start at lvl 1 again...

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
What are your video settings? You look like you're getting a better framerate than I get on my 2.8Ghz MBP w/9600m.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
from watching the video, it seems certainly playable for on-the-go type CoD fix. very impressed.

edit: does steam carry your stats when you switch from one computer to the next? I'd be interested but i dont to start at lvl 1 again...

I'm wondering about that also. I haven't installed it on the iMac yet, only been playing on the air so I dont know if it carries over or not. I'm at lvl 45 and I really don't wanna restart at lvl 1 again lol

What are your video settings? You look like you're getting a better framerate than I get on my 2.8Ghz MBP w/9600m.

The video doesn't show the smoothness of the game. It's just as smooth as playing on an XBox or PS3, so I'm guessing frame rates are at least 30FPS at the least. It looks even better running it off my 20" Dell External LCD. Here's the exact settings:

Resolution: 720x480

Advanced Video >

Aspect Ratio: Auto
Anti-aliasing: Off
Screen Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Sync Every Frame: No
Shadows: No
Specular Map: No
Depth of Field: Yes
Soften Smoke Edges: No
Ragdoll: Yes
Bullet Impacts: Yes
Texture Quality: Manual
Texture Resolution: Extra
Normal Map Resolution: Extra
Specular Map Resolution: Extra

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Those are exactly my settings except for AA is 2x and resolution is 1280x800. I also have ragdoll turned off but I don't think that really does anything. I may have to recommend the new 13" MBP to a friend who does a bit of gaming. The 9400m seems very capable if graphics aren't a huge deal to you.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Those are exactly my settings except for AA is 2x and resolution is 1280x800. I also have ragdoll turned off but I don't think that really does anything. I may have to recommend the new 13" MBP to a friend who does a bit of gaming. The 9400m seems very capable if graphics aren't a huge deal to you.

AA will kill performance like crazy. Turn it off and you'll probably find it running better.

vaderhater245

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
answering my earlier question, steam does transfer your rank/ stats from multiplayer. Ran MW2 on my late 08 Unibody Macbook 2.4 and saw great results. Seems the resolution of 1280x800 is just too small to play on for long periods of time.

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
NoobTuber :p Ha. Thank you ayeying for all your videos. MW2 is a really good game isn't it. Got it for the 360, might buy it for the pc soon.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
So it runs okay on native resolution? That’s really good to hear.

No the OP said 720x480 with no AA - not native res on the Air (1200x800 or so). Basically it can do wide screen SD which for a pretty high end FPS on an integrated card is still cool.

Like the OP also said, any AA will really impact performance...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.