Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
From blog.us.playstation.com:

The latest update incorporates Facebook into the PS3 experience. By linking your PlayStation Network account to your Facebook account, you will have the option for the PS3 to automatically update your Facebook News Feed with Trophy and PlayStation Store activity. This update also enables developers to set specific criteria in their titles to publish additional game information to your News Feed. You can then check out your updates, and those of your friends, on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media favorites through the PS3’s built-in web browser.

This is just the beginning of our integration with Facebook and we are looking forward to adding new features enhancing the experience in future updates.

Additional highlights from update 3.10 include:

The Photo category on the XMB has been revamped to make it easier to see more of your photos stored on the PS3.

The PSN Friends List has been modified based on feedback we received after update 3.00. Additionally, you can now choose a color for your PSN ID on the XMB.

To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.10, check out the video below:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/playstation-3-firmware-v3-10-update/

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Looks cool I hope they add this stuff to the 360 as well i was kinda hoping for a dedicated app but oh well still i will use it :D

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
The less integration with facebook the better. I don't like facebook's habit of periodically broadcasting information about its users (such as Amazon.com purchases or movie rentals) without giving them any warning or asking for their consent.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
This is even lamer than the 360 Facebook stuff. At least there it actually feels like a decent Facebook app. Here you just post purchases and trophies onto your status..... yyyaaaaaaaaayyyy. I know you can just got on the browser if you so desire, but honestly, way to half ass it Sorny.

AND OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! you can change the colour of your box on the friends list.... ahhhhhh!!! and look at pictures differently.... How's cross game chat comin along?

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
way to half ass it Sorny.

Half arse?....way to not listen at all..just give the damn people what they want which is cross game chat and worry about the silly things later. Cross game invite/party chat is the only reason why people think the shaft online is better so whats the big hold up...just get it done.

At least the friends list box can be dimmed...and its free.

Bless

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
Then don't link your PS3 with a Facebook account. Not rocket science.

Thanks. Luckily, since it isn't rocket science, I managed to figure that out for myself. :rolleyes: I was just stating an opinion on the trend of integrating anything and everything with facebook these days.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Half arse?....way to not listen at all..just give the damn people what they want which is cross game chat and worry about the silly things later. Cross game invite/party chat is the only reason why people think the shaft online is better so whats the big hold up...just get it done.

At least the friends list box can be dimmed...and its free.

Bless

Agreed. Do you ever get the feeling it’s like two Sony Japan guys working on the XMB in a dark corner somewhere and they’re the only ones that can update it?

There’s been around 40 XMB updates since the system has launched, most minor in nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3_firmware

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah if they finally have proper game invites and cross game chat - it might be the kick that M$ need to either drop the LIVE fee or offer more incentives at least.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
So it's 3:13PM on the west coast and I still don't have this update. Anyone else? My PS3 checks online and tells me that I have the most current version (3.01).

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
Downloading it now!

Awww c'mon it must be a liiiiittle more excited than yawn! You did take the time to post here, after all!

Honestly I came to see what peoples thoughts were...I do own a PS3. Was just stating my reaction, nothing less nothing more. My thoughts to these updates are that they are a complete waste of what the PS3 SHOULD be able to do. Please don't clutter up the XMB....At least there is news Firefox may come to the console.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
The PS3 Perspective: PSN Facebook is Dumb

Unfortunately I really do have to agree. I just hide the posts in my FB account though...
I actually disagree with IGN. I think sharing info over the Facebook API is cool. browsing photos and viewing my friends' walls? I have a computer to do that, I prefer to do that on a computer, and if Sony offered it, I suppose that would be neat, but... I wouldn't use it.

I put that kind of functionality in the same category as a web browser. Okay cool I can browse the web on my TV... but... i'd rather just do it on my computer.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Left FB integration turned off - I have a friend who has MW2 updates off his Xbox and it annoys me intensely.

Did enjoy having a profile colour though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I actually disagree with IGN. I think sharing info over the Facebook API is cool.

Sharing what you have purchased online is not cool, actually they should give you the option to opt out of it doing that. To me thats a breach of confidentiality.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Sharing what you have purchased online is not cool, actually they should give you the option to opt out of it doing that. To me thats a breach of confidentiality.

You have to opt-in to all the FB functionality. Seriously, you expected Sony to magically know your username and password?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Um... you have to REALLY go out of your way to enable purchase sharing info.
First you have to...
1) go into account settings and add the fb account
2) check the box that says you want to share purchase info (it's by default unchecked).

So... riiiiight...

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The guys at Podcast Beyond had it right this week. Sony is always one step behind Microsoft in terms of system software.

The new Facebook integration seems half-baked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.