Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Dear all,

I'm making a trip to the US in December, going through quite a few cities: NYC, Washington DC, Orlando, Miami, Las Vegas and San Francisco. This is my first trip to the US and I'm looking for a prepaid voice/data service provider to use with my iPhone 3GS. I brought my iPhone in Hong Kong, it is factory unlocked so I can use it with any service provider.

I searched online for a bit. It seems I have 3 choices for voice service: AT&T, T-Mobile and Virgin Mobile. However they don't seem to be offering data services for prepaid SIM? Can someone advice me on which one to choose?

Thank you in advance!

Goyan

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Virgin Mobile uses CDMA and piggy-backs off of Sprint's towers. Your only 2 options that'll get nationwide coverage are AT&T and T-Mobile.

I don't have any knowledge of the pre-paid SIMs and data though, sorry.

goyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I listen to various podcasts from the US. They all give me the same perception about AT&T -- bad reception and slow 3G network. Is it true?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It depends on the location. Not every city in the US will get the same coverage.
If you do get good 3G signal it is said to have the fastest 3G speeds.
Definetelly better coverage than Tmobile.
I forgot to mention, You wont be able to get 3G with Tmobile cause the iphone doesnt support the frequency used by them. Only 2G/Edge speeds with Tmobile.

I listen to various podcasts from the US. They all give me the same perception about AT&T -- bad reception and slow 3G network. Is it true?

danita0053

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Limited 3Gs service

Just to let you know, AT&T offers only phone/sms service to the iPhone 3Gs when using a prepaid SIM. They have prepaid data plans, but they do not work with the 3Gs, only with the 3G.

So, you will be able to make calls, but you can not use their network for any data usage. I do not know when they will change this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.