Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I have a Lacie mobile drive where the wire is connected via a mini usb and it was used with my old mbp firewire port - was it 400?

The two mbp's have different firewire ports.

I now have a jul 2009 mbp and i need an adaptor or a new cable to connect the two devices. So on one end the mini usb and the other a firewire to fit into my current mbp.

Can someone tell me clearly what i need to look for / ask for... prob look on ebay. Maybe a link to apple store so i can see exactly.

I hope it makes sense to someone. Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Which of these is it?
http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10036

USB to Firewire cable don't work, as there are two different buses.

Maybe your drive has a 4-port FW port, which you used with a 4-6 port FW 400 cable.

The new MBPs have FW 800, which uses a 9-port plug.

So you need a 4-9-pin FW cable. They cost around 5€.

firewire2.png

USB ports
USB.GIF

Last edited:

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for quick and comprehensive reply!

I googled and this is it

its a LaCie Mobile Drive 160Gb USB & Firewire. So it has a small connector on the drive and two wires - one for usb and the other for firewire.

http://www.mac-pro.com/LaCie-Mobile-Hard-Drive-Porsche-120GB-5400RPM_2

The mobile drive has a mini b usb and a firewire 400 / 6 pin connector.

So i need Mini B to Firewire 800 9 Pin..... or firewire 400 6pin to 800 9pin... yes?

Attachments

• media.nl.jpeg
    media.nl.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 15,470

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thanks for quick and comprehensive reply!

I googled and this is it

its a LaCie Mobile Drive 160Gb USB & Firewire. So it has a small connector on the drive and two wires - one for usb and the other for firewire.

http://www.mac-pro.com/LaCie-Mobile-Hard-Drive-Porsche-120GB-5400RPM_2

Mini B to Firewire 800 9 Pin.....

If you mean USB by Mini B, then use either a USB cable or a 6- to 9-pin Firewire cable. USB and FW don't work via one cable.
FW has its own chipset on the logic board, USB goes right through the CPU.

Either use USB cable like this:
usb-kabel-mini=foto=canon.jpg

or a FW 6- to 9-pin cable like this:
Firewire_800_9pin_to_6pin_Firewire_400_1394_IlinkDV_cable.jpg

Deduced via the Manual of your drive: http://www.lacie.com/download/manual/p2_fw_hd_en.pdf

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You have a MBP with a camera, you can always take a picture of the ports on the drive and post those.

Ooops, no need, mini B USB and 6-pin FW ports.

---

Just a note the FW-to-USB cables you see are generally only using the power pins to power/charge a device. They don't carry data.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
good suggestion... although i think its all sorted.

i need this to connect to a jul 09 macbook pro - firewire 800 9-pin it seems.

Attachments

• Photo on 2009-11-17 at 21.11.jpg
    Photo on 2009-11-17 at 21.11.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 490

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
good suggestion... although i think its all sorted.

i need this to connect to a jul 09 macbook pro - firewire 800 9-pin it seems.

You can also use a USB cable if you have one handy, the speed difference is marginal at best, especially since FW400 will get you similar speeds - I get 30-35MB/s via USB with an 2.5" 5400rpm drive.

All Intel Macs are able to boot via USB connected external drives, so FW is no need for this.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I knew you can boot from usb with intel however, when i tried to restore a superduper from the drive via usb the option on superduper didnt come up.

Maybe i didnt check it properly. Ill have another go later with the usb cable and see if i still need a new cable.

Thanks for all help.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I dont think i need the cable :D

I forgot i need to boot from the LaCie then the option to restore on to the Mac HD will become available - silly me.

The mini usb to usb ive been using to backup is fine - saved £5! :eek:

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
Conserve USBs? Firewire 800 for Passport

I have a new MBP(newer than what I had) it is the solid block style, I had the old (2007 model)
Anyway all the usbs are on the same side and there are two of them. I like to keep iphone plugged in and my laptop try/fan also. heat killed my old battery)
PROBLEM
My Passport..uses the traditional mini usb-b to USB connector. I am looking at that firewire 800 socket and thinking can I purchase a mini b-----Firewire 800 and use it sucessfully?
Is such athing possible?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I have a new MBP(newer than what I had) it is the solid block style, I had the old (2007 model)
Anyway all the usbs are on the same side and there are two of them. I like to keep iphone plugged in and my laptop try/fan also. heat killed my old battery)
PROBLEM
My Passport..uses the traditional mini usb-b to USB connector. I am looking at that firewire 800 socket and thinking can I purchase a mini b-----Firewire 800 and use it sucessfully?
Is such athing possible?

If you want a mini-USB to Firewire cable, then no. They are two different protocols and are not compatible.

You could get a passive (without AC) USB hub, I use one and my 2.5" HDD is even powered via that hub.

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
Hub-BUB

Regarding the hub suggestion...I have tried three different hubs. A GE, A Belkin and a ChinaHOCKEY...model. All of them drop signals. ie you start with say yer iphone and your just maybe your fan hooked up and then your external hard drive(passport) drops off..You get that nasty message abput properly exiting drives etc. I have tried all dif combos. I have never even used more than 2 ona 4X hub, and I still lose something. Sometimes ALL. Like I say I have tried three dif manufacturers, if you know of a better one, let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.