Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tcmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
I am trying to upgrade Office 2004 to version 11.5.6. I am current in Office upgrades but when I try this upgrade the installer hangs and I get the "not responding" message. I have tried both auto and manual installs and turned off and on the computer. Thank you in advance.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Rosetta ?

Do have Rosetta installed? Office 2004 is not a universal binary, it is PPC code, so it needs Rosetta (a PPC emulater of sorts) installed to run, and the installer must therefor be PPC code also.
Rosetta is not installed by default when you insatll Snow Leopard. It can be installed from the original DVD install disk - optional installations folder? Can't remember exactly what that was called, but look at the DVD when you put it in the drive, It's pretty obvious.
If Rosetta is already installed, perhaps your copy of the updater is corrupt?
Sorry, no other ideas now.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Office installer will sometimes throw up an error message dialog window that is under the installer window. Launch the installer and when it seems to habg, check if there is a hidden window.

tcmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
thank you for the ideas

I assume that Rosetta is already installed because the Office programs work fine and there are no hidden error message boxes. All other updates installed fine under Leopard-this last update will not install with snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.