Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applelicious

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
New York, NY
Hello,

Today I went to Best Buy to check out these beasts. I fired up youtube HD on both and picked the following video to watch in HD. I expanded the video to full screen and noticed that on base 21.5" video was skipping/stuttering. I was able to watch it but it was so annoying to watch it. I then immediately played the same video on $1,699 27" and it played no problem and very very smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw

Now I realize that these are online video streaming so you are dependent on internet speed and all that, but why would they both be so different in video quality playback at the same time? I am planning on buying base 21.5". however, I am not sure I would be able watch HD content. Do you think it has something to do with integrated GPU or maybe C2D? I would not expected GPU to be an issue as I have read it somewhere that it was modified for smooth HD video content viewing.

If anyone reading this on their 21.5" base model, please follow the link above and let me know if you are experiencing the same lagging in video

Thanks again guys and girls
Applelicious

sanjuvarma

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Hello,

Today I went to Best Buy to check out these beasts. I fired up youtube HD on both and picked the following video to watch in HD. I expanded the video to full screen and noticed that on base 21.5" video was skipping/stuttering. I was able to watch it but it was so annoying to watch it. I then immediately played the same video on $1,699 27" and it played no problem and very very smooth.

Now I realize that these are online video streaming so you are dependent on internet speed and all that, but why would they both be so different in video quality playback at the same time? I am planning on buying base 21.5". however, I am not sure I would be able watch HD content. Do you think it has something to do with integrated GPU or maybe C2D? I would not expected GPU to be an issue as I have read it somewhere that it was modified for smooth HD video content viewing.

If anyone reading this on their 21.5" base model, please follow the link above and let me know if you are experiencing the same lagging in video

Applelicious

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/
Go for it!!

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Hello,

Applelicious

Well i have the base imac and play HD video no problem whatsoever. Actually it plays smooth and is quite colorful and clear. I don't think that it is a hardware issue.

My last gen Mini I use for a HTPC plays HD video without a hitch on my widescreen with boxee in my living room. Again no problem.

If the video is choppy, must be a connection issue. The 9400M G is optimized for HD video playback. So yes you are right about that.

Heck my old Roku player plays flawless HD video and that doesn't even compare to a first gen Mac Mini. It doesn't take much to stream HD video if the connection is a fast connection.

I don't think the new imac hardware is the issue here.

applelicious

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
New York, NY
Thanks guys. I figured that it must have been a connection issue or maybe flash issue that is software related, which is easily fixed once updates roll out.

One last question and this is something I am not sure about. Are screen qualities (brightness, color gamut, etc) the same on both 21.5 and 27? I would imagine they would have some small differences due to latter having extra sharp resolution, but as far as viewing pictures and videos, quality of those should be the same right? I even read somewhere on this forum that 21.5 colors might look even better, which I am not sure how is that possible due to higher resoluition on 27. I compared them at Best Buy yesterday, but did not have enough time to actually look in details as I had 30 other angry looking people standing and staring at me waiting to play with new imacs :eek:

Thank you

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Thanks guys. I figured that it must have been a connection issue or maybe flash issue that is software related, which is easily fixed once updates roll out.

One last question and this is something I am not sure about. Are screen qualities (brightness, color gamut, etc) the same on both 21.5 and 27? I would imagine they would have some small differences due to latter having extra sharp resolution, but as far as viewing pictures and videos, quality of those should be the same right? I even read somewhere on this forum that 21.5 colors might look even better, which I am not sure how is that possible due to higher resoluition on 27. I compared them at Best Buy yesterday, but did not have enough time to actually look in details as I had 30 other angry looking people standing and staring at me waiting to play with new imacs :eek:

Thank you

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

The viewing angles are identical but the brightness is slightly higher on the 27-inch model. Both are very nice high end displays. The 27-inch I own is a huge improvement over the 20" LCD early 2008 iMac I had in terms of color and viewing angle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.