Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than three months after the launch of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, evidence has surfaced that Apple is already working on the next version of OS X, presumably to designated Mac OS X 10.7. The information comes from an entry posted earlier today in a database of changes to the open source "launchd" framework, which oversees booting of Mac OS X and administers processes running on the system. In particular, today's entry cites an error message containing the text string "11A47", a reference to the Mac OS X build number being used.
< rdar://problem/7386864> 11A47: SecurityAgent no longer visible via Accessibility
Apple's build numbering scheme utilizes a numerical prefix indicating the major release version, followed by a letter code indicating the minor release version and a numerical suffix indicating iterations of that version throughout its development. For example, the initial shipping version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard was termed Build 10A432 while the 10.6.1 update carried a designation of Build 10B504 and the 10.6.2 update released last week was termed Build 10C540. Meanwhile, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) carried a build number of 9A571 when it first launched.

Based on this numbering scheme, the "11A47" entry cited in the launchd change database would refer to the initial version of Mac OS X 10.7, with the "47" suffix indicating that while still early in the development process, but likely means Apple has been working on builds of the next major operating system revision for at least the last month or two.

Of course, news that Apple appears to be working on Mac OS X 10.7 is certainly not surprising given the long development time required to refine and polish Apple's major operating system releases. While 10.6 incorporated many "under the hood" changes, however, some have speculated that we may see more radical end-user changes in 10.7.

Article Link: Apple Already Working on Mac OS X 10.7 Development?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I say preview of 10.7 Lynx/Cougar at WWDC ’10 with a ship date of Spring ’11. :D

And please don’t name it “Clouded Leopard."

calvin2006

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Os Xi

Anyone else feel like OS X is nearing the end of its life? In 2000, when Jobs introduced OS X, he called it the roadmap for the next decade. With the abandonment of PowerPC and now Snow Leopard officially ending any upgrade path for PPC, it seems reasonable to think that the next OS version will be something more radical, perhaps even the blueprint for the next decade. Could this deserve a new version number like XI, or is X here to stay, like the "Windows" moniker? At any rate, I think 10.7/11.0 will be a major overhaul of the UI and OS, while 10.6 was a way to pacify power pc users so they didn't get too excited about being left out of the next OS.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Apple would be accused of "sitting on their hands" if they weren't working on OS X 10.7.

It is also good to know they are investing $$$$ in innovation for future products and operating systems... to better our user experience

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
There were features for 10.6 not included? Like what?

They were never slated for 10.6, but we do know they’re working on a UI called “Marble,” system-wide Multi-touch and resolution independence among other features.

Anyone else feel like OS X is nearing the end of its life? In 2000, when Jobs introduced OS X, he called it the roadmap for the next decade.

He revised his quote a few years back. I want to say he moved it to 15 or 20 years.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Did anyone really think that Apple were not developing their next update already? I'd have thought it was a given that things had already started myself.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
There were features for 10.6 not included? Like what?

I type this post up, and my brain goes blank on what the missing features were.. I ask myself: should I look this up before I post? Yes, I say. And then click Submit anyway. :eek:

ZFS I remember, but I'm sure there was more shown during the initial preview back in WWDC.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
It's obvious that they're working on the next OS, but it still feels good to have some hard evidence. Now the speculation can continue on some firmer ground. I still like Mac OS X v10.7 "Ocelot".

PaperMacWriter

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
All right! I expect(hope) we'll be seeing a new UI, full resolution independence, BD support, QTX w/all the features we lost from QT Pro, and an all new, overhauled finder. It really needs it... And obviously a bunch of other small, simple things, and any other currently non thought of innovation that there might be. And the better name it Lion... I dont know if they can get away with Clouded Leopard....

SG :apple:

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
They were never slated for 10.6, but we do know they’re working on a UI called “Marble,”

No, people assumed that there was such a thing because a rumor came out about it. But there was a rumor about a radical new UI style in Leopard, which also didn't materialize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.