Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:26 AM   #1
draggo
macrumors newbie

iphone stays on only if charging

Well my iphone just got water damaged but i was able to get it working except it only stays on when charging. I know the battery is good because i can unplug it and keep it on and run apps untill the battery drains...BUT as soon as it goes idle and the screen locks and goes to sleep it starts rebooting with the apple logo. So i am forced to keep it charging, everything works normal except the power button doesnt work anymore. Anyone had this problem or know if this is fixable?
draggo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:49 AM   #2
MAJE5T1C
macrumors newbie

All i can say is take it apart and give the main pcb a very good cleen i just bought a faulty iphone from ebay and mine was dead with water damage

I put it in my ultrasoic bath then scrubed it with soapy water with a tooth brush and bathed it again then washed it in water dryed it out and now its working but the battery is duff now so im almost there

So like i say just do what i have said and is will work again it just looks like when you have cleed it you have missed some gunk in there someware

Hope this helps
MAJE5T1C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:26 AM   #3
kAoTiX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJE5T1C View Post
All i can say is take it apart and give the main pcb a very good cleen i just bought a faulty iphone from ebay and mine was dead with water damage

I put it in my ultrasoic bath then scrubed it with soapy water with a tooth brush and bathed it again then washed it in water dryed it out and now its working but the battery is duff now so im almost there

So like i say just do what i have said and is will work again it just looks like when you have cleed it you have missed some gunk in there someware

Hope this helps
You bathed your iPhone in soapy water?! I lol'd, seriously.
Did you then take it for a walk in the park and on to McDonalds for lunch?

But seriously, this sounds like a mainboard problem and obviously not the battery if it is staying on and then going off after idle. You can test the battery with a voltmeter on the pins if you want to open it up.
I actually have one to repair right now which is doing a similar thing where it will stay on when plugged in but as soon as you take the cable out it turns off. But that turns out to be the battery.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:37 PM   #4
draggo
macrumors newbie

Update: My Iphone just recently made a full recovery! Whatever the problem was, it was linked to the power button because as soon as it started working it was able to stay on when idle , and no more stuck in reboot mode. the only thing i did today was dropped it and charged it in the car while it was hanging upside down. Its been one week since the water damage.
draggo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting