Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
I have been helping my MIL set up her new Dell laptop which is running the new Windows 7. I havent really been familiar with windows since XP so its torture for me to try to work out the changes etc & set it in the best way possible for her. To be honest, i would have preferred to get her a macbook but it was too expensive for what she needed it for, to be able to have video conferences with her family.
My SIL's both have laptops running Vista & even from that there is so many differences in the 7!

I just think in most ways, mac is far easier to get the hang of & anything you dont, I can always go into an Apple store & ask!!!

Go APPLE!!:):p

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
Oh people love to think that Windows 7 is "such a improvement over Vista"
But, we all know, it's not lol.

It will never be half of what OS X is.

Seems to me that Microsoft is spending its time copying Apple, the new windows 7 dock looks like Apple but obviously isnt functional like Apple & of course they are now opening stores which are carbon copys of Apple stores

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Oh people love to think that Windows 7 is "such a improvement over Vista"
But, we all know, it's not lol.

It will never be half of what OS X is.

Actually 7 is a HUGE improvement over Vista, however what it is not much of an improvement over is XP (and yes, before someone says it, 7 does kick XP's butt in the "superficial eye candy" department).

madwolf

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2009
You had a problem with Windows because you don't know how to use it. The same with me when after years of using Windows I tried to use Mac OS. It was terrible! I couldn't find anything, strange and awkward keyboard shortcuts etc. now it's ok. Imho Windows 7 is great too. Both systems just need getting used to and when you're used to only one you've got serious problems with the other.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i was using windows for donkey years , but only tried out vista once when it came on the market biggest rubbish ever called a operating system and could not get used to it and went back to trusty old windows 2000 which still is the most stable running windows operating system ,
but switching from windows 2000 to osx panther/tiger was easy , could work with it straight away and after a month i knew nearly everything as its far more logical build :)

ScottHemlock

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
I know what you mean...

When my other half (who refuses to let me get her a Mac) has a problem, she asks me to fix it. Not a problem except it's Windows! Windows doesn't like me. Every time I use it I manage to make it freeze, or find something else that takes 2 or 3 more steps to accomplish on Windows than OSX, which just bugs me. Now, sorry if I gabble on a bit...

I switched to Mac in June 2008, before this date though the last Mac I used was way back in the 90s and I always found them annoying and unstable. Then, I'll be honest, I used OSX in a Virtual Machine in Windows as a friend just got a Macbook and recommended OSX (he was also showing it off every day). It was slow running on an old Pentium 4 and a little tough to install but when I got to used to it, I wanted a Mac for OSX! A little over a year or two later, I got a Macbook Pro. What's funny though, is that my friend that recommended it was back on a PC 6 months later saying he couldn't do half the things he can in Windows.

I love my Mac :)apple:!) at the end of the day, the only thing that bugs me is that it gets so darn hot. The next one I plan to get next year will be an iMac for sure.

SachaS

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
Seems to me that Microsoft is spending its time copying Apple, the new windows 7 dock looks like Apple but obviously isnt functional like Apple & of course they are now opening stores which are carbon copys of Apple stores

One of their staff actually stated that this was what Microsoft did. I read it on the BBC News website, apparently Microsoft denies this and claim that he wasn't involved in the design of Windows 7.

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
wow the fanboyism is strong in this thread. I seriously dont understand how someone can have THAT many problems with their windows machine. Sure it can have its occasional hiccups and whatnot but the way some of you make it sound, its like the machine constantly sits their with error messages popping up randomly.

Ive been using windows based machines my entire life and though they arent perfect, they sure arent as horrible as some people make it out to be.

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
You had a problem with Windows because you don't know how to use it. The same with me when after years of using Windows I tried to use Mac OS. It was terrible! I couldn't find anything, strange and awkward keyboard shortcuts etc. now it's ok. Imho Windows 7 is great too. Both systems just need getting used to and when you're used to only one you've got serious problems with the other.

Exactly, when I use my mac for months my PC starts to annoy me, and when I use my PC a lot my mac starts to annoy me. You like what you're most familiar with.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
An Apple OS users, not familiar with current Windows OS "helping" setup a laptop . . . isn't that like a Windows person whose last familiarity with a Mac was OS 9 trying to sort out SL? :D

notstevelam

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
I have been helping my MIL set up her new Dell laptop which is running the new Windows 7. I havent really been familiar with windows since XP so its torture for me to try to work out the changes etc & set it in the best way possible for her. To be honest, i would have preferred to get her a macbook but it was too expensive for what she needed it for, to be able to have video conferences with her family.
My SIL's both have laptops running Vista & even from that there is so many differences in the 7!

I just think in most ways, mac is far easier to get the hang of & anything you dont, I can always go into an Apple store & ask!!!

how the heck did this make any sense at all? because you never use windows 7 and hence are not used to it...this makes macs better?? either way you just admitted that getting a pc is more economical.

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Ive been using windows based machines my entire life and though they arent perfect, they sure arent as horrible as some people make it out to be.

On a different Mac board, I once pointed out that my Mac would kernel panic more often than my Windows machine (self built, custom rig) would BSOD (which is to say almost never) and that, despite not running an anti-virus program, I had never had a virus on any Windows PC I used because of some basic vigilance on my part.

I was promptly called a troll and a liar (because I obviously had never used a Mac with opinions like that, and despite having been a regular poster for years). The fanboyism can run strong and it could be a lot worse. Best to just let folks like the OP have their soapbox. :cool:

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom

+1

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
7 is just a makeover of Vista. Same turd but red instead of brown, like Microsoft fed it a bunch of Red Vines licorice.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
ok to come to the rescue of the pc and windows ,
you can get a perfectly usable pc (for every day computing and the odd game) with a intel Dual-Core~2.50GHz, 2MB Cache,2GB ram NVIDIA graphics card ,320gb hdd and a dvd writer ,for about £250 brandnew and get a usable matching screen 24" for it for £150 , so all together with windows 7 for £400
you have to admit you wont get anything with a :apple: on it in a apple store for that price
and the world is full of people who would like to have a mac but simply are not in a finacial position to afford one ,as even the basic mac mini cost £499 and the apple 24" monitor cost £ 635 so together more then double the price

there are people out there who are not financially fortunate enough to buy a new mac , but they want something new and not a used computer

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

So Apple is far superior cause your a OS X user and are not sure how to setup a Dell running Windows 7. Would it be fair for some M$ fanboi to claim that windows 7 is so much better then OS X cause they have not used SL??? And would struggle setting one up and working out how to instal software?

You can save yourself a trip to the Apple store and just google it!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
7 is just a makeover of Vista. Same turd but red instead of brown, like Microsoft fed it a bunch of Red Vines licorice.

Try using it mate. Its a very nice improvement. Prior to windows 7 the vista jokes were fun, sadly the release of win 7 was far better then SL. Right now Win fanbois have everyright to pick on SL as Apples answer to vista, damn buggy at release, hoping by 10.6.3 I will have a reason to upgrade to SL.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Actually 7 is a HUGE improvement over Vista, however what it is not much of an improvement over is XP (and yes, before someone says it, 7 does kick XP's butt in the "superficial eye candy" department).
I'm tired of hearing 7 being compared to XP as only slightly better. What a crock. 7's search actually finds things and is quick and explorer is a huge overhaul compared. I'm still using XP at work (we're web based) and when I need to find things it's a real pain. 7 is WORLDS better.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Take any Windows or OS X user and plop them in front of a Linux machine and have them install a printer and network connection. Then, you might for the rare moment, have both sides agree on something . . . Linux sucks.

It doesn't really, but they'll struggle with it anyway. :D

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Try using it mate. Its a very nice improvement. Prior to windows 7 the vista jokes were fun, sadly the release of win 7 was far better then SL. Right now Win fanbois have everyright to pick on SL as Apples answer to vista, damn buggy at release, hoping by 10.6.3 I will have a reason to upgrade to SL.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with SL...

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Take any Windows or OS X user and plop them in front of a Linux machine and have them install a printer and network connection. Then, you might for the rare moment, have both sides agree on something . . . Linux sucks.

It doesn't really, but they'll struggle with it anyway. :D

Lol Linux is for Pros who need it, not regular OSX or Windows users...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.