Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:59 AM   #1
animaanimus
macrumors newbie

Need recommendation for a borderless printer that can do custom sizes

I apologize up front for asking for yet another printer recommendation as I realize that there are a lot on here. I searched through a lot but I can't seem to find any thread that addresses what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a high end consumer to professional grade inkjet printer that can print borderless at custom sizes, especially small pieces on card-type stock. It is very important that the printer play nice with the Adobe Creative suite, especially Illustrator. I print some photos but I would mostly be using this for smaller volume design projects. Color matching is also a focus. I'd like it to sit on my desktop but space is not a huge issue. I really only need it to print a 17" image since I have a decent large format printer that doesn't need replacing. This printer is really for high quality smaller projects. It will be used at work so I have a decent budget for what I can buy but I'd like to stay around or below the $1,500 range.

It seems that all of the printers that I'm looking at only print borderless at defined sizes. Is this the norm? I haven't been in the market for a new printer and this was not a feature that was important to me when I purchased my last printer. I had been leaning toward the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF5100 but, again, I can't get borderless prints at sizes I specify.

I figured that there had to be others out there doing similar design work and with similar needs. Does anyone have a specific model that you can recommend that you had good experiences with? Thanks for any advice you have.
animaanimus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Borderless is often restricted to sizes specified by the printer manufacturer. At other sizes, you bleed and trim. The Canon you mentioned is what I was going to recommend since it accepts paper sheets and rolls.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3
animaanimus
macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess I was just hoping for a secret printer that did it all and I just didn't know about it. I hate trimming anything if I can avoid it.

Thanks.
animaanimus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics