Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:32 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Game Console Makers at a Crossroads

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Game Console Makers at a Crossroads
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Nermal

I hear that console games such as Modern Warfare 2 are selling abysmally.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:22 AM   #3
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
I am guessing that there is more bad news in the pipeline for game console makers.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:01 AM   #4
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Am I the only one who read a article full of BS and hot air. The author was mostly just making crap up with zero understanding.

Console Games vs iPod/iPhone games are no where close. iPhone games are what I call time wasting games and just something you play to pass the time. Compare that to console games and those are something that people tend to get a lot more into and will really play. two completely different markets

As for the sales going down well WTF do you expect. It is a depression right now and games are expensive so the full ledge games are not going to sell as well as time wasters like iPhone games.
That and knocking off the power house games for each console is hard. Halo is still the standard for FPS after all theses years. Mario is still the bread and butter for Nintendo and so on.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:39 AM   #5
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Really?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:45 AM   #6
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Am I the only one who read a article full of BS and hot air. The author was mostly just making crap up with zero understanding.
No, I agree with you there. The author doesn't seem to have a firm grip on the subject matter. I particularly enjoyed the bit where he mentions Nintendo's mass success with over 60 million Wii system sales, then enters the next thought with "no clear winner in sight". Once I saw the iPhone enter the article, I kind of just stopped there...
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:37 AM   #7
ghayenga
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
I'm fairly sure that was sarcasm.
ghayenga is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:49 AM   #8
iSee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Console Games vs iPod/iPhone games are no where close. iPhone games are what I call time wasting games and just something you play to pass the time. Compare that to console games and those are something that people tend to get a lot more into and will really play. two completely different markets
You missed the point. The relevant quote is, "The ultimate competition is for consumers' free time." No one was comparing consoles and phones directly. And that's the opinion of the chief executive of Sony, not the author of the article.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:39 AM   #9
PeterQVenkman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Console Games vs iPod/iPhone games are no where close. iPhone games are what I call time wasting games and just something you play to pass the time.
I disagree.

I'm a huge gamer on consoles and on the ipod touch, and I'd call all games a waste of time. I could be getting better at a marketable skill or learning something new.

If anything, the short lifespan of a many iPhone games is more suited to when people's time is being wasted, but not by their own choice- stuck on the Metro, a bus, waiting room at the doctor's office, etc.

Consoles require you to set aside time to waste in the living room. You can also do that with the iPod, but it's the only choice you have with a console.

Quote:
As for the sales going down well WTF do you expect. It is a depression right now and games are expensive so the full fledge games are not going to sell as well as time wasters like iPhone games.
True dat. Gamestop sales go up, new game sales go down, as our economy spirals down to the depths of hell!
PeterQVenkman is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:54 AM   #10
tempusfugit
macrumors 65816

The xbox is the only thing that MS makes that I can stomach. However, I'm now on my 3rd console so I have plenty of complaints too.

Apple should consider a move into the console market. Phase apple TV out and supplant it with a media center/gaming console. If Microsoft can make a good console you know apple can probably do it better.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:35 AM   #11
JosephBergdoll
macrumors 6502

Increased rivalry from smartphones? Are you kidding? I'm just gonna stop playing my Xbox because Cube Runner is SO AWESOME! What a joke.
www.randomlurkers.com
JosephBergdoll is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:19 PM   #12
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghayenga View Post
I'm fairly sure that was sarcasm.
You're quite right
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:30 PM   #13
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterQVenkman View Post
I'm a huge gamer on consoles and on the ipod touch, and I'd call all games a waste of time. I could be getting better at a marketable skill or learning something new.
Glad to see that self awareness hasn't been lost on this generation of gamers. Now if we can just move from thinking to action.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:53 PM   #14
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
whoooooooooosh

thats the sound of the mile high salute in reverse!

Nermal was clearly being sarcastic
dukebound85 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion