Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
Need some help with itunes guys. See I have this collection on my login but now my girlfriend is really into macs and is always using mine. She's put a whole bunch of songs on my login until i decided I would set one up for herself so she wouldn't mess up any of my stuff. So how can I transfer her songs to her login without having to copy the songs over and taking up needless space when its already on the computer.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
actripxl said:
Need some help with itunes guys. See I have this collection on my login but now my girlfriend is really into macs and is always using mine. She's put a whole bunch of songs on my login until i decided I would set one up for herself so she wouldn't mess up any of my stuff. So how can I transfer her songs to her login without having to copy the songs over and taking up needless space when its already on the computer.

I've never done this myself, but as long as you have admin rights you should just be able to copy the folders from your personal acount in finder to hers.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
What if you moved your music Library to the shared music folder? I think that regardless as to what you do, you will still need to use the consolidate library, or some other way to keep your playlists updated.

OSX Panther

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
norway
this is a tricky one--

first. you copy only the library file to the shared folder. then u set the permisions for the music and library file. Then u make two aliases from the library file. And place one in youre music folder, and one in the other users music folder. Be shure that all users can acsess the music files. A smart thing is to move all the files to shares, but remember to put aliases to the library in your music folder. In the end your music folder should contain one thing, the alias. :)

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
Just put any mp3s you want to share in /Users/Shared and then both of you import them separately. Make sure in the iTunes advanced prefs the "copy files to music folder when adding" box is not checked or it will just copy them back to your home dir again.

Burns

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2004
Aberdeen, Scotland
Can anyone help? I was using iTunes before my iPod arrived and it was fine. I got my iPod yesterday and started using it. Now when i import songs form a CD and try to "get names" it says can't access CDDB, check connestion. Now my connection is fine and i haven't touched any settings at all. It could possibly just be that last night their server was down, but if not what can i do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.