Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:12 PM   #1
magentawave
macrumors regular

How To Change PDF Icons Back To Default Adobe Reader Icon?

At some point I changed the appearance of my PDF icons from the default red and white Adobe PDF image to where the PDF icons show a little image of the front cover of the PDF. Now I would like to change all of my PDF icons back to the default red and white Adobe Reader icon. Does anyone know how to do that please? I have Googled this and see instructions for how to change from the Adobe default to custom but can't figure out how to reverse that.

Thanks
Steve
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:38 PM   #2
someguy
macrumors 68020

If you still have Adobe Reader installed, right-click on a PDF file and select "Get Info". Find the option toward the bottom where you can change the default application, select Adobe Reader, and click "Change All".

See if that works.

someguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:30 PM   #3
magentawave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
If you still have Adobe Reader installed, right-click on a PDF file and select "Get Info". Find the option toward the bottom where you can change the default application, select Adobe Reader, and click "Change All".

See if that works.
Thanks for your reply.

I have Adobe Reader installed and the "Open with" tab is already set to Adobe Acrobat Pro but the "Change All" button is dimmed so I'm not able to change all of them back to the Adobe default pdf image. I'm thinking that since I changed it at one time (from Adobe icon to preview) that maybe the pdf's I download from now on will have the Adobe icon but the ones I already have will stay as preview. Got any other idea's?

Thanks
Steve
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:49 PM   #4
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040

Does the icon look like a page with corner turned down and inside it is a small Preview application icon and "PDF"?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:52 PM   #5
sammich
macrumors 601

In the Finder, go to 'View' in the menu bar, then select at the bottom 'Show View Options'. In that pane near the bottom is a 'Show Icon Preview'. That will apply for the currently selected window.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:53 PM   #6
jzuena
macrumors 6502a

If you right-click on any icon and select "Show View Options", you can turn off the little preview by unchecking "Show icon preview". I don't know of a way to do this just for PDFs, though.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:59 PM   #7
magentawave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
In the Finder, go to 'View' in the menu bar, then select at the bottom 'Show View Options'. In that pane near the bottom is a 'Show Icon Preview'. That will apply for the currently selected window.
I already had 'Show icon preview' set but I might have changed that in the last couple of days after I decided to go back to the default Adobe icon for pdf's. I now see a couple pdf's that have the Adobe icon so I am assuming from now on all pdf's I download will have the Adobe icon. Just wondering if anyone knows how to change ALL my previously downloaded pdf's back to the Adobe icon?

Thanks
Steve
Old Nov 21, 2009, 05:13 PM   #8
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040

It sounds like they have a custom icon. Select a file, do a get info (command + I), click the icon in the upper left corner (it will get highlighted), press delete key. This should remove the custom icon and you should be back to the default Adobe icon. I don't know if this will work for more than one file though.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 05:17 PM   #9
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
I already had 'Show icon preview' set...
Exactly. If you want to see the Adobe icon, it should be unset.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:47 PM   #10
magentawave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewGuy1999 View Post
It sounds like they have a custom icon. Select a file, do a get info (command + I), click the icon in the upper left corner (it will get highlighted), press delete key. This should remove the custom icon and you should be back to the default Adobe icon. I don't know if this will work for more than one file though.
Thanks but that didn't do anything. I don't think there is a way to change all the previous pdf icons (that show an image of the front cover of the pdf) back to the default red and white Adobe pdf image.

I was stupid to have changed them before because I now see that its much easier to identify what is a pdf or not at a glance with the default Adobe pdf image.

Steve
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:51 PM   #11
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Let me say that again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzuena View Post
If you right-click on any icon and select "Show View Options", you can turn off the little preview by unchecking "Show icon preview".
Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
I already had 'Show icon preview' set...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRevolution View Post
Exactly. If you want to see the Adobe icon, it should be unset.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 03:01 PM   #12
magentawave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRevolution View Post
Let me say that again:
What I meant is that I previously had it set at "preview" (hence the fact that I am now seeing whatever the image is that is on the front cover of the pdf), but that I changed it back to the adobe default...and all my previous pdf's still show the NON-default image. So it seems there is no way to change all the pdf's on my computer back to the default adobe icon with one click.

Thanks
Steve
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:51 PM   #13
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Ah, I see. In that case, what I thought you said was:

In Finder, select File -> New Finder Window. Then, go to View -> Show View Options -> (deselect) Show icon preview, (click) Set as default. (I can't remember the label on the button, but it's the only one on that window anyway.)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help