Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:53 AM   #1
Wilson
macrumors regular

Partitioning Hard Drive?

Does anyone partition their hard drives? I know it's very common for people to partition their hard drives on a PC, but I'm not sure if it's common for mac people. I would like to partition my 160 GB into 2 so that I can have all my graphic design work in one hard drive so that it's easier to backup.

I have no idea how to partition a hard drive nor do I know if it's a good idea to do it or not. If anyone can give me any help on this that would be great.

Thanks.
Wilson is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:02 AM   #2
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Somebody else can give you the specifics of how to partition the drive from the OS X install CD. It's easy to do but it does destroy all data on the drive, so you're reinstalling everything.

I have a concern if I understand your question--do you want to create a partition to put your backups onto? If so, I'd suggest getting an external drive for that. If your drive has a problem then you lose your backups along with your original data.

Generally I'm not a big fan of partitioning drives, but there isn't anything wrong with it.
Horrortaxi is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:07 AM   #3
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says....I would politely recommend searching the forums here as this has been asked and answered countless times in the past. I will add to Horrortaxi's comment by saying that there are a couple of new utils that will allow you to partition without destroying the data - iPartition and Volumeworks - but as always it is recommended that you backup beforehand just in case so at that pint you may as well just do a backup and restore and save your money (unless you like to live on the edge and do it without backing up...)....oh yeah!
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:37 AM   #4
Wilson
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrortaxi
I have a concern if I understand your question--do you want to create a partition to put your backups onto? If so, I'd suggest getting an external drive for that. If your drive has a problem then you lose your backups along with your original data.
Would I be better off to get another internal hard drive? or does an external have advantages over the internal?

Thanks.
Wilson is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:05 PM   #5
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson
Would I be better off to get another internal hard drive? or does an external have advantages over the internal?

Thanks.
Duff-Man says....there are a couple advantages to using external. For instance, if you need to take some of your graphics work elsewhere you just pick up the drive and go...plug it in when you get there. If you are using it as a backup device it also allows for off-site storage - if your place burns down and the computer is reduced to a pile of melted metal and plastics an off-site backup can save your work (assuming this graphics work you are speaking of is commercial) and get you back up and running quicker......oh yeah!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers