Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
I am a new user of Mac but have been using windows for at least a decade. I ran into a problem that hope you guys might be able to help me. I have a lot of chinese songs in my windows computer which of course the file names are in chinese. After I transferred all the files to my mac. I have no problem reading it(I can see the files are under the correct file names). However, when I played a song in itunes( I have no problem reading it in windows itunes), that's when I ran into a problem. All the words are unable to be decoded and shown in some unreadable words. Yes, I can change the name in itunes one by one but it's just too inefficient. (also something downloaded on the net has the same encoding problem) I would like to know if any of you guys know how to fix it. I believe the problem is related to mac running on unicode system while windows running on some others, which i believe is big5. Thank you so much for you help.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I think I had a similar problem with my songs. What I did was to copy all the ID3 tag information and paste it as the filename in Windows, and then when I imported the songs to my Mac, I just put back the information in all the appropriate places using Get Info in iTunes. It doesn't help with the problem of being slow since you have to change them one by one still, but it helps in that you don't have to remember how to type names using input methods or listen to songs to remember which album/artist/track# they were.

Anyone else have any ideas? I am curious as to whether there is a software solution to this. Copy and paste is definitely not the most efficient method :-D

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2004
Did you buy your mac within the last 90 days? If so, I would contact technical support. I know that iTunes can support Chinese names, but I have no idea what the encoding for it is. Maybe the windows files are using a different encoding scheme and that is what is throwing things off, tech support is usually pretty great and they might be able to help you out with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.