Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senter(left)

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
LA
I have an issue with my headphone jack on my touch. When I have the headphones plugged in just regular, I only get sound in the right ear. I have to keep the input at a certain angle to get sound in both ears. It isn't an issue with the headphones because I tried them on other devices and they work fine, and I even used other headphones with my touch and the same problem occurred. So I was just wondering if anyone knew how fixable something like this is. Should I take it to apple, or somewhere else to get it fixed? Also, how much would it cost, if anyone has an idea. Thanks!

mjv

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
Headphone Jack Messed Up

I have had exactly the same problem (one audio channel cutting out) with not one but two iPhone 32g Touches. I tried cleaning the jack ports with a Q-tip and alcohol to no avail. I suspect there is some sort of systemic problem at work - as I've noticed other blog posting reporting the same problem.

Any suggestions?

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
I think you should try and ask someone at the genius bar at an apple store. If it's under warranty, they should fix it for free. :)

McKTX

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
I have issues with my headphone jack also. Like it does not work at all if the jack is all the way in. If I push it part way in and put pressure to one side or down I can get audio, otherwise nada. This just started about three days ago, I called apple help and they suggested that I bring it into the local Apple store. It is only about two months old, not quite.

mjv

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
Headphone Jack messed up - workaround

As noted above, I have two iPod touches with messed up headphone jacks - so I took one into the Apple Store to see if they could repair or replace it. No, could not repair it but happy to replace it with a refurbished Touch for $290...or something like that. It is way out of warranty. Thanks but no thanks.

Then I went on line and spotted the Griffen in-line iPod controller "Navigator" which plugs into the mounting dock, and has a controller (play, pause, volume, etc.) with a headphone jack! Problem solved and now I don't have to dig the Touch out of my pocket to change songs or volume or play lists. It works like a charm.

My only complication was that the controller was not available in Canada. Weird. So my son sent me one from the States.

luis.s

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
New Zealand
The headphone jack on my 2nd gen 16gb iPod touch is also dodgy, and it's also the left ear that has problems.

I've tried different headphones and that's definitely not the issue. If you wiggle them around a bit, (or give it a light whack if it's in your pocket lol) the sound comes back into both ears usually, but it's still a pain, and if you move around too much it goes out again.

I started noticing it about a month or two ago, and I think it's getting worse. I'm about four months out of warranty which is annoying.

When they finally release new MacBook Pros I am going to buy one for Uni, and get the free iPod Touch with the student discount, so I'll have a new one with out the problem soon anyway, but when I sell mine I'd rather selling it with out problems :)

RobMoss

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
I have the same headphone socket problem with my iPhone, and whilst I can get it replaced under warranty, it's going to be a while until I can get to an Apple Store for various reasons.

Has anyone tried one of those adapter things that have a 3.5mm headphone jack on one end and a dock connector on the other, allowing you to effectively plug your headphones into your dock connector..? They can be found on the Bay of E for a few quid, but I don't know whether there are any quality/compatibility issues that I should know about..?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.