Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StellaBlue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
NJ/NYC
Hi,

I'm shopping for a dock/speakers system for my iPod and iPhone. I want GREAT sound, strong bass, etc. I can spend around $300 or less. Its for our bedroom so it doesn't have to be portable but if it is that's a bonus that would be nice.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
J

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Hi,

I'm shopping for a dock/speakers system for my iPod and iPhone. I want GREAT sound, strong bass, etc. I can spend around $300 or less. Its for our bedroom so it doesn't have to be portable but if it is that's a bonus that would be nice.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
J

Why don't you spend the money for a real sound system and then just connect your iPhone using an aux cable

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Hi,

Suggestions?

Thanks!
J

If you are going to spend $300 and you want ipod specific, the Bose SoundDock system is one of the best out there. Love mine. Really loud and sounds awesome.

However, I also own a Logitech PureFi Anywhere 2 that I got because I wanted something cheaper and portable to take to the beach. It's less than half the cost of the Bose and truthfully, sounds almost as good. Doesn't sound quite as "full," but it's awfully close.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Bose sound dock is very good, plays louder than you'd expect for the size, I do plug into a high end system when I want to do more serious listening, but the SD is a surprisingly capable substitute in a sleek, small package. Best iPhone accessory I've bought so far. Highly recommend it.

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Im sorry to say but as much as the BOSE docks sound great, the Ihome Ip1 is giving them a run for their money.
I think the BOSE has a clear sound but if you want more Bass and all around sound, go with the Ihome.

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Go with the BEST!

I just bought the Bose SoundDock 10 a couple of days ago and I am literally in love with it. It's true that you could find a much cheaper solution with a 2.1 setup, but I really like the clean "Apple like" design of the unit. Most people on here have heard the sounddock 2, I promise that this thing blows it out of the water. It has some of the best sound I've ever heard. I don't claim to be an audiophile, but I do have some serious money invested into some very hifi equipment. I would at least go listen to it at an Apple store and see what you think.
I know that Bose has made some real crap before, but this unit to me really is worth the $599 price tag. If I were you, I would pick it up at Amazon because first this is no tax which saved me around $70 and they have the best return policy anywhere! They would probably take back used diapers because they weren't soft enough. LOL
Does anyone else have any experience with this unit? I am thinking about buying the Bluetooth adapter for it so I can stream music from my macbook pro or Iphone to it so I can keep my Iphone with me so I can still use it for other purposes.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I just bought the Bose SoundDock 10 a couple of days ago and I am literally in love with it. It's true that you could find a much cheaper solution with a 2.1 setup, but I really like the clean "Apple like" design of the unit. Most people on here have heard the sounddock 2, I promise that this thing blows it out of the water. It has some of the best sound I've ever heard. I don't claim to be an audiophile, but I do have some serious money invested into some very hifi equipment. I would at least go listen to it at an Apple store and see what you think.
I know that Bose has made some real crap before, but this unit to me really is worth the $599 price tag. If I were you, I would pick it up at Amazon because first this is no tax which saved me around $70 and they have the best return policy anywhere! They would probably take back used diapers because they weren't soft enough. LOL
Does anyone else have any experience with this unit? I am thinking about buying the Bluetooth adapter for it so I can stream music from my macbook pro or Iphone to it so I can keep my Iphone with me so I can still use it for other purposes.

If you want the best, you aren't going to want Bose. You are going to want something like the Wall of Sound.

Off-topic: LTMGTFY is not allowed.... just a heads up.

jaddon

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
I just bought the Bose SoundDock 10 a couple of days ago and I am literally in love with it. It's true that you could find a much cheaper solution with a 2.1 setup, but I really like the clean "Apple like" design of the unit. Most people on here have heard the sounddock 2, I promise that this thing blows it out of the water. It has some of the best sound I've ever heard....

Are you still happy with the Bose Sounddock? Did you buy the bluetooth adaptor? I have also bought the Sounddock 10 and love it. Everyone has different views on them but I wonder which set up would win if we had a blind testing! :D

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
I was all set to buy a SOundDock about a year ago, until I test drove one in a Bose store.

Sounds GREAT, but what I feared the most came true. Sub-par (almost non-existant) stereo separation. Separation is a biggie for me in any "room filling" sound system, so I passed and just do what others have suggested, plug it into an aux spot on my full stereo systems.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.