Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Aug 2, 2004, 02:03 AM   #1
jefhatfield
Retired

balding? graying?

how many of you guys/gals out there have problems with your hair, or lack of it?

do you color your hair? wear a toupe? have any of you had hair transplants?
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2004, 05:19 AM   #2
iGav
macrumors G3

I'm receeding and thinning on top... and I'm only 26 so I usually adopt a #1 cut now, which I don't actually mind, that said, it's not all that long ago that I had dreads

I've done the whole hog though in my time, every colour under the sun red, blue, green, bleached, mohawk even bleached spots

Kind of miss being able to change my 'do though...

Here's me with and without...

Last edited by iGav; Feb 17, 2006 at 03:46 PM.
iGav is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2004, 06:16 AM   #3
MacRy
macrumors Demi-God

Bad luck iGav. Same thing happened to me. I used to have dreads and lovely lock locks and then at about your age I started losing it and now at 32 i'm down to a grade 0....

By the way - no cats were harmed in the making of that photo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	15674   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	15675  
MacRy is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2004, 09:15 AM   #4
MongoTheGeek
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to MongoTheGeek Send a message via Yahoo to MongoTheGeek
I've had hair and lost it and grew it back. Before I lost it I thought it was actually creeping forward. Having a 16 year old son is starting to give me grey though.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:39 AM   #5
iPC
macrumors 6502

i am good to go. 29 yrs old (30 in feb) and not a gray hair yet! no balding either!
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:09 AM   #6
MacRy
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPC
i am good to go. 29 yrs old (30 in feb) and not a gray hair yet! no balding either!
Don't take this personally - I hate you. *sob*
MacRy is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:14 PM   #7
Roger1
macrumors 65816

Goin' bald. Of course, my @#$%head brother, who is two years older than me, has all of his hair. Oh, well, I clip it short now anyway. . Maybe I'll go for the Gallager look one of these days.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 02:51 PM   #8
acceber
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to acceber
Hmm, I have all of my hair. Then again, I'm 17.

But thanks, I now have an insight into the personal experiences of somebody other than my own. Shouldn't be taking my hair for granted.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 04:36 PM   #9
pivo6
macrumors 68000

I'm 38 and have had thinning hair on top for the last 5 years or so. Now I just have the barber cut it "skin tight". My wife actually prefers it that way. According to her, a comb over is grounds for divorce

My hair is way too short to determine whether its graying or not. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 04:47 PM   #10
belair
macrumors 6502

starting already

I am only 25 and my hair is starting to turn gray.
It's not that bad but everytime I go to the hairdresser ( I change a lot) they tell me :"Oh look you got some grey hair"
And I know.
Just keep cutting.
I hope that I turn grey before I turn bald tough. Grey hair doesn't fall off. According to the saying at least.
belair is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2004, 04:49 PM   #11
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Give me a couple weeks to let the hair on my face grow in, and I'd start looking a bit like iGAV's tar...

Except the hair is starting to turn Phil Donohue white.

Last edited by Sun Baked; Aug 2, 2004 at 04:58 PM.
Sun Baked is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2004, 04:56 PM   #12
vniow
macrumors 603

I tried to dye my hair a light grey once, didn't quite work however. Thinking about trying again when I get some extra ca$h...

Unfortunately most of what I could find at the store gets rid of grey, not adds it in, grrr...
vniow is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2004, 05:10 PM   #13
emw
macrumors 603

Maybe I should be losing it...

since it's all turning gray. 35 and I might as well be 50.
emw is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2004, 05:24 PM   #14
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Started to lose my hair at 25, and for the past 10 years I use a #1 or shave it completely. The grey doesn't show that much clipped with a #1.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 05:34 PM   #15
MrSugar
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to MrSugar Send a message via AIM to MrSugar
I am 19 and have very thin hair that was starting to fall out (bad genes in the family :/) I take a generic form of Propecia. It has been about 6 months, it's working to stop my hair loss.

-- Fluidvision Design
MrSugar is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2004, 05:39 PM   #16
wdlove
macrumors 604

I'm very fortunate that I inherited my genes from my mothers side of the family. Still have a full head of thick hair. Never dyed my hair. I happen to be very pleased with the way that my hair has grayed.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 06:16 PM   #17
phonemonkey
macrumors regular

24 and bald as a mfer. So I shave it. Makes me look cool onstage with the band though.
phonemonkey is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2004, 07:23 AM   #18
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

I'm 48. My hair's been receding for years, but very slowly, so I've still got enough that it doesn't look too bad. My younger brother has receding hair and is balding at the crown. I feel bad for him.

But I feel worse for my son, who's in his mid-20s. I didn't really notice it until he decided to shave his head very close, but he's receding even more than I am.

That's just sad.

As far as coloring...my wife swears she likes my little bits of gray at the sides. But I don't. I didn't want to go from salt-and-pepper to my natural brown color overnight, so I tried that Grecian Formula stuff to gradually darken it. Now that I'm "covered", I think it's time to go for some regular hair coloring.

Thank goodness they have that stuff for men now, so we don't have to buy anything with the name Clairol and a woman's picture on it.
Thomas Veil is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:23 AM   #19
cr2sh
macrumors 68030

Today is my 25th birthday and my head is at least 40% gray.

Though it seems to be slowing down, I'm very confident I will be completelly gray by the time I'm 30.

That said, my girlfriend was first attracted to me because of my hair... it makes me look all distinguished and hot. Sometimes I turn myself on.

MBP (early' 11/2.2/16GB/500GB/hi-res-ag)
cr2sh is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2004, 01:16 PM   #20
me_94501
macrumors 65816

I'm 21 and as faqr as I can tell, I still have all my hair. My grandfather on my mom's side had the receding hairline at the temples but he never went completely bald. My father started to thin in his mid 50s, and his father had a full head of hair when he died. Complete baldness doesn't seem to run in my family.

I know, you guys hate me now. :P

When it comes to graying though, it's another story. My father went gray fairly early but my mother stil has mostly brown hair and she's in her 60s. My sister is 31 and she's been going gray since her early 20's (yes, she dyes it).

Last edited by me_94501; Aug 3, 2004 at 01:19 PM.
me_94501 is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2004, 02:37 PM   #21
zimv20
macrumors 601

in '99, i developed classic male pattern baldness.

the woman who cuts my hair noticed it first. i went to my doctor, who advised me to skip the liver-damaging hair drugs and just let it fall out. i went to a chinese doctor, who despite claiming he can cure AIDS and cancer, said there was nothing that could be done.

i quit my job. within two months it had all grown back. even today, i still have no signs of balding.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 02:41 PM   #22
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Because of a rare genetic disorder, i have white spots of skin, and several are on my scalp-- they produce white hair (not gray, but white, or albino) so i have these lovely shock-white streaks. I've grown my hair out lately so you can't see them, which is great-- it's annoying to have people keep asking me about them.

Looking at my family, i should have a solid head of hair until around 30, when it will begin to thin out... i figure i'll start using rogaine in the next few years, just preventative.

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2004, 09:55 PM   #23
jefhatfield
Retired

i have always had a cowlick where the hair was thinner but it has never gotten worse in 25 years but if i lose hair it will probably start there

in my mid 30s i noticed more gray than ever before so i pulled them all out and improved my hair's overall look...i put the hairs in an envelope and saved it and since then i haven't done anything since i feel it's ok for me to get more white and gray hair as i go through my forties...if i am lucky i will have more color than not when i turn 50, but it's not in my control so i don't worry anymore

i won't color my hair if all of a sudden i start looking older like some men do...if i was a woman, i think i would resort to coloring my hair..it's strange how society puts a lot less stress on men and how they look
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:23 PM   #24
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
i have 2 or 3 silver strands, thats about it; my dad is bald, but my moms hair is thick, and i got her hair so i hope i wont bald, but im still young too early to tell
Old Aug 4, 2004, 02:35 AM   #25
me_94501
macrumors 65816

When I was an infant, I actually had pathces of gray hair.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community