Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcphoenix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Ottawa
I've had my 27" iMac i7 for a week now and for the most part, I've been loving it. But I've been concerned recently as in the last day or two, it has twice not woken from sleep. I've pressed random keys on the keyboard, clicked the mouse a few times and nothing will happen so I end up having to turn it off entirely and turn it back on.

Does anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it? It doesn't happen every time... I'm concerned that it could be a sign of a bigger defect (like the screen flickering issue other people are having) to come...

ljeffs

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2004
Victoria, Australia
Yep, mine is doing it too... I am looking for reasons/solutions here on the forums but still looking... Anyone else having problems with waking up?

kamman

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
Having the same problem. Just finished with AppleCare on the phone. They suggested erase and reinstall OS. I'm not very fond of that because it will mean reinstalling all my apps, etc. Would probably take a day to get me back up and running.

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
UK
My mid 2007 Imac has been having the same problem, maybe happened 4 or 5 times in the last 3 weeks. The last time it happened I could hear the fan running and managed to wake it by quickly pressing the power button.

Never happened running Leopard, maybe a bug in SL?

sakumar

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
Could be a bluetooth problem

I had the same problem with my iMac quad core i7. The system apparently wouldn't wake up from sleep. It would work ok after a reboot.

After a few times I connected a USB keyboard / mouse (the new iMacs come with bluetooth keyboard/mouse) and realized that the problem was with Bluetooth. The built-in bluetooth would randomly shut down. The system would wake up fine with the USB keyboard but a reboot was still required if I wanted the bluetooth back.

I've subsequently narrowed it down to a USB hub that I had connected to the iMac. After I disconnected the USB hub, the built in bluetooth has been stable.

dmackerman

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
Virginia
I had the problem this morning, but it was due to my Macbook Pro being attached via Firewire as a target disk. Ejecting it, and then trying again seemed to work fine.

Moral of the story? Check your peripherals.

jhbpa

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Just got my quad core 27 yesterday, same issues, spent two hours with Apple Care and they claimed my problem was unique. Here is what we tried, none of which worked:

1. Tried memory reset (hold left shift and command, R, P while holding start button until beep sounds twice, then let start)

2. Safe Boot (hold shift key down until status bar and little wheel appear)

3. SMC reset ( unplug, hold start button in for more than five seconds, plug in and start)

I also replaced Dimms to no avail.

I have two intel MB Pros, never had this issue, keeping the thread alive.

Tech suggested a clean reinstall of SL, has anyone succeeded with this?

MLaughlin

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Mac will not wake up from sleep

I purchased my i-Mac 27" the day they new model was made available. During the last 3 weeks about every other day it will not wake from sleep, requires me to hold down power until it shuts off manually, and then it will start right up like normal when I press power again, all bluetooth kb/mouse work fine as well. I agree with the other posts that it must have something to do with the BT shutting down, and no longer looking for the mouse click to wake it up. I have spent hours with tech support and they simply want me to start over by installing OS, or take the mac to the store to have them swap it out. I am at a loss - any ideas?

fredsout

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Sounds like a problem

I'm having the same issue and did a reinstall and this issue continues, it usually happens after a long sleep cycle.When I brought it to an Apple store they used a wired keyboard and mouse and of course only did a quick sleep cycle. I have a BT mouse and keyboard.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
sounds like a bluetooth issue in some ways my mini does this if i let it sleep as i use a logitech dinovo mini bluetooth keyboard with intergrated trackpad and it has the full update of sl on it and its a late 09 mac mini

jhbpa

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
I purchased my i-Mac 27" the day they new model was made available. During the last 3 weeks about every other day it will not wake from sleep, requires me to hold down power until it shuts off manually, and then it will start right up like normal when I press power again, all bluetooth kb/mouse work fine as well. I agree with the other posts that it must have something to do with the BT shutting down, and no longer looking for the mouse click to wake it up. I have spent hours with tech support and they simply want me to start over by installing OS, or take the mac to the store to have them swap it out. I am at a loss - any ideas?

As evident from my previous posts, I had exact same issue(s) and resolved them today.

I re-installed OS without erase. With Mac OS X v10.6, there is a single choice for installing or upgrading Mac OS X. This choice is similar to the Archive & Install choice seen on previous Mac OS X releases.

The installer first cleans up the previous Mac OS X installation, while preserving user data, system settings, and third-party applications you have installed. It then merges these preserved files with a clean new installation of the operating system.

I am also now able to wake with bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse.

rene.bonvanie

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
Foster City, CA
As evident from my previous posts, I had exact same issue(s) and resolved them today.

I re-installed OS without erase. With Mac OS X v10.6, there is a single choice for installing or upgrading Mac OS X. This choice is similar to the Archive & Install choice seen on previous Mac OS X releases.

The installer first cleans up the previous Mac OS X installation, while preserving user data, system settings, and third-party applications you have installed. It then merges these preserved files with a clean new installation of the operating system.

I am also now able to wake with bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse.

I did the exact same thing, and it turned out to be the right remedy.

I had restored the content (entire disk) of my old MacPro onto my new iMac 27" i7 using DiskUtility to shorten the time it takes to migrate. I know that's not supposed to work because of cross-platform issues, but EVERY time I've done this, it has worked for me. Anyway, as usual everything worked ... except waking up from sleep. After the OS re-install from the ORIGINAL iMac DVD my beautiful computer wakes up from its sleep.

Thanks for the tip!

Hark2604

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
27 Imac Quad not waking from sleep

My i5 after sleeping all night was not waking up in the morning. After 30 days I took it into Apple. They ran tests informed me that it needed a new power supply, motherboard, and graphics card! They replaced my machine, the kicker, my new one is doing the same thing. There is a bigger problem in play here. It's annoying having to hold down the power button and restart it every time.

Hark2604

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
27 Imac Quad not waking from sleep

My i5 after sleeping all night was not waking up in the morning. After 30 days I took it into Apple. They ran tests informed me that it needed a new power supply, motherboard, and graphics card! They replaced my machine, the kicker, my new one is doing the same thing. There is a bigger problem in play here. It's annoying having to hold down the power button and restart it every time. I hope Apple finds a fix for this. My previous Imac was set up identically and never had this problem.

kdeleon

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
Having the same exact problem. Re-installed the OS, and still having the same problem. Is EVERYONE that owns a 27" i5 having this problem?

Grewa

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
Me too....having the same problem since i bought this a month ago.
Even got the Logic board replaced by Apple.
I have tried reinstalling, reseting the PRAM the SMC etc. Nothing works !
Just getting so frustrated with no clue as to what to do.
The Apple support says this is a very rare incident and is still helping to trouble shoot....but I;m running out of patience.:confused::(

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
So far, my 27" has not had this problem, but my previous imac (24" early 2009) had a similar problem. However, the computer itself would wake up from sleep but the screen would not. Eventually, the screen would never come back on, even though I knew I was successfully booting into OSX. I could even attach a secondary monitor to the Displayport and see my desktop.

Is it your screen that doesn't wake up or the whole computer?

exodyne

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Oslo, Norway
Same problem with my 27" iMac.
First I had problems with spontanious reboots.
After resetting the SMC and restoring defaults under energy settings, that problem thankfully dissapeared.
But then this wake from sleep issue appeared.

Grewa

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
So far, my 27" has not had this problem, but my previous imac (24" early 2009) had a similar problem. However, the computer itself would wake up from sleep but the screen would not. Eventually, the screen would never come back on, even though I knew I was successfully booting into OSX. I could even attach a secondary monitor to the Displayport and see my desktop.

Is it your screen that doesn't wake up or the whole computer?

The Hard disks seems like its spinning but the screen just does not want to wake up and I have to press the power button in order to sleep and wake it again. I just dont know what else I can do. Any help on this will be much appreciated. Thanks

Dr Lou

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
Me, too. Having strange power management issues on the i7 iMac, just a few weeks old.

Problem first noticed - right out of the box - with the machine not responding to Sleep key combination.
Had tried reset of PRAM and SMC...

Now machine will sleep, but does not wake!
Further resets of PRAM and SMC to no avail.

Have not yet tried the 'complete reinstall' approach; this would be a Big Job in my case, so this will be the last resort.

Interesting note on the Bluetooth hypothesis, mentioned by some on this thread: I have both the i7 iMac and LogiTech diNovo (paired with a server) within a few feet of each other. Strangely, since getting the iMac, the diNovo's established Bluetooth pairing has dropped off a few times; this has never happened before in about 2 years.

Related? Coincidence? Alien Abduction? You make the call.

Has anyone come up with a definitive resolution to this? Clearly not a 'very rare' situation, as Apple suggest.

codesta23

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
I thought I was one of the few people getting this problem cause I posted this problem last week and only got a couple of replies and very few views.
It seems this problem is not so rare as the Apple Support staff claim it is.

I have a 6 week old i7 iMac with wireless k/b and Magic Mouse and was getting this problem initially on long sleeps, but then I started getting it as soon as I put it to sleep, it wouldn't wake up (black screen), but the system was still powered on and vibrating quietly. Only pressing the power button to shut down and restart would work.

I have tried using a USB mouse instead of the wireless Magic Mouse, but it still has the problem, so I don't think it's a bluetooth issue.

I erased my hard disk and reinstalled the O/S. Still didn't work, so have sent it back to Apple for diagnosis/repair. It's on the way back to me now, so we shall see if they fixed it.

kdeleon

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
Update on my i5 27" running 10.6.2:

I re-installed the OS from disk (the over-install option or whatever you want to call it where it's not a COMPLETE CLEAN install). After doing that, I was still having issues.

I then cleared the SMC and resett the PRAM/NVRAM (in that order). After clearing the SMC, and resetting the PRAM/NVRAM my problem now seems to be gone. Has woken from sleep after 8+ hours (which would NEVER happen before) twice.

Hope this helps someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.