Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djulz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Despite reading several post saying its not supported by Apple, i decided to give a try on installing Win7 on my MP 1,1 and stumbled through some unexpected problems.
First I used BootCamp3 and split one of my HDs into winBC partition/Mac partition, then restarted Windows 7 install.
I stumbled into the first problem which was the installer, after reformating the BC partition, displayed an error code, 0x80300024, a hard drive problem error in fact. The solution to this was quite simple, the BCpartition was on drive#4in slot #4, i had to move this drive to slot#2, then the installation runned smoothly. When rebooting and starting Windows for the first time (finishing the installation), I saw the Windows animated logo then the screen went black and hanged and lead to a BSOD. The message is 0x00000116, a graphic problem.
I tried booting in safe mode but it says I need to let Windows 7 installation finish before booting safe mode and since i cannot finish it, beacause of that BSOD... So its a no go for now. I ran into instructions 'Instead, restart and press a key to boot from the Windows 7 disc when prompted. Rather than running the installation again, choose the little option at the bottom to Repair your computer. Decline any suggestions that pop up until you see a list of options with Command Prompt at the bottom. Choose that option. At the Command Prompt, type DEL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATIKMDAG.SYS to delete the default ATI driver, then close the window and reboot. This time, Windows should successfully initialise a more appropriate display driver, allowing you into the desktop.'
at http://www.macwindows.com/bootcamp3.html#112209c
These instructions are for the BC problems on the Imac, not the MacPro. However i ran into the same problems, so i tried the same solution.
Unfortunately, the Dos command does not work. I feel the installation is close at hand, and very possible, we'll see later for the Bootcamp xtensions, Has anyone stumbled upon the same problem/ or has a remedy?
PS: Its a Windows 7 32bits

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
what are you talking about ? the macs in the "not be supported" list are all the ones with 32bit efi.

bootcamp 2 drivers still work in windows 7....

djulz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
what are you talking about ? the macs in the "not be supported" list are all the ones with 32bit efi.

bootcamp 2 drivers still work in windows 7....

Sure, correct
just refering to this quote from Apple:
Summary

Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp.
Products Affected

Portable Computers, Desktop Computers

Requirements:
In addition to the Boot Camp update, you will need the following:

• Your own authentic copy of Microsoft Windows 7 or Microsoft Windows 7 upgrade

• An Intel-based Mac computer

Note: The following models will not be supported for use with Windows 7 using Boot Camp.

iMac (17-inch, Early 2006)
iMac (17-inch, Late 2006)
iMac (20-inch, Early 2006)
iMac (20-inch, Late 2006)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2006)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2006)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2006)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2006)
Mac Pro (Mid 2006, Intel Xeon Dual-core 2.66GHz or 3GHz)

My issue is not Bootcamp, its finishing the Windows7 Setup on the MP and bypassing the BSOD.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I've got Windows 7 64 bit installed on my Mac Pro 1,1. After burning the slightly modified install disc (detailed here) the install was relatively painless.

I also enabled my "extra" SATA ports on the motherboard for an internal Blu-Ray burner, and I even forced the install of the "unsupported" 64 bit Bootcamp 3.0 drivers and have had no issues.

I'm running an Nvidia 8800GT graphics card. Are the ATI drivers really that problematic? Other than that the primary difference between my setup and the OP's is I'm using a dedicated drive for Windows 7.

BTW I didn't use the Bootcamp assistant at all.

djulz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I did succeed in my 2008 MacbookPro, but on this MP 1,1, I stumbled upon the same problem as those guys using a new Imac (!!). Its not a Bootcamp issue.
:apple:

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I didn't use Boot Camp to install Win7, but I already had Windows XP installed and just upgraded to Win7 over that. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

If you can do that (it'll even install over a pirated copy of XP, so I was told), you might try to install 7 that way.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
What video card are you using? The X1900? I can't say about ATI cards and Win7 because I've been running the 8800, but I did have Vista installed with the X1900 for a time and never saw anything like that.

Vista and possibly Win7 have problems installing when you have multiple hard drives (I don't have a link handy, but this was a known issue with Vista at least)... since it's so easy I typically just remove all but the drive that I'm installing Windows on (I put it in slot 1) and haven't had any issues. Actually I installed WIn7 over an unneeded HFS+ partition, reformatted from the installer not using Bootcamp, and no problems.

I'd also recommend 64-bit if you have that available.

djulz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
What video card are you using? The X1900? I can't say about ATI cards and Win7 because I've been running the 8800, but I did have Vista installed with the X1900 for a time and never saw anything like that.

Vista and possibly Win7 have problems installing when you have multiple hard drives (I don't have a link handy, but this was a known issue with Vista at least)... since it's so easy I typically just remove all but the drive that I'm installing Windows on (I put it in slot 1) and haven't had any issues. Actually I installed WIn7 over an unneeded HFS+ partition, reformatted from the installer not using Bootcamp, and no problems.

I'd also recommend 64-bit if you have that available.

Thanx to all for the advices,
I have a 7300 inside.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I would support the experience that a separate HDD for Windows works best and that you may want to throw everything out that isn't needed. Please also think about disconnecting peripheral devices you do not necessarily need.

It could be usefull to try another GPU temporarily until Windows proceeds to the driver install.

Bootcamp also works with single partitions on one drive, so it is not really usefull to avoid it. Using the MBR partition table from the Windows install DVD instead of the GUID table by Bootcamp can result in other problems. For instance the excellent Winclone app may not work.

djulz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Solved!

Again thanks for all you answers.
The problem is as stated in the BSOD, the graphic driver, in the MacPro it was a Nvdia 7300, and the driver : Nvlddmkm.sys.
So to get rid of this problem, start from Win install dvd(or USB image), get to the repair Computer/Windows menu, try to repair, it will come with two options, the second one highlighted in blue will lead you to a menu with Command prompt. Choose it. From this menu enter: DIR C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
You will get a list, if u spot Nvlddmkm.sys delete it, same for ATIKMDAG.SYS.
With DEL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATIKMDAG.SYS or
DEL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\Nvlddmkm.sys

Then restart the Win7 partition, and install the Bootcamp 3 extensions.

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp.

Just a clarification: assuming that Boot Camp is part of OS X, does this imply that it will be released with the 10.6.3 update?

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Just a clarification: assuming that Boot Camp is part of OS X, does this imply that it will be released with the 10.6.3 update?

I would not necessarily see that junction. It could be released as a OS X update but Apple have also done Bootcamp updates separately like the Bootcamp 2.1 update.

Bootcamp consists of two different pieces of software. One is a partitioning tool in OS X. The second is a collection of drivers. In the case of the coming 3.1 update there may also be a firmware update to certain machines. At least this is what the exclusion list is hinting at.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
In the case of the coming 3.1 update there may also be a firmware update to certain machines. At least this is what the exclusion list is hinting at.
I hope they do, as it could extend the life of the '06 and '07 machines to a level that is standard with any other vendor, especially if it means they'll finally get EFI64 (5 years).

I presume you still have your '06 BTW. It could open some new possibilities for you. :D

oz1

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
I've got Windows 7 64 bit installed on my Mac Pro 1,1. After burning the slightly modified install disc (detailed here) the install was relatively painless.

I also enabled my "extra" SATA ports on the motherboard for an internal Blu-Ray burner, and I even forced the install of the "unsupported" 64 bit Bootcamp 3.0 drivers and have had no issues.

BTW I didn't use the Bootcamp assistant at all.

How did you enable the "extra" SATA ports for access from WIN 7 running under Boot camp. I haven't been able to find instructions for this & would like to do it if poss. Am running WIN 7 Ultimate x64 with no problems so far but did download updated video drivers from NVIDIA.

PS I have an early 2008 octocore.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
The 2006 MacPro is on the exclusion list.
I was under the impression that the firmware updates wouldn't be for EFI64 only. It would make sense though, as adding life to the older systems will prevent those users from being forced to upgrade their systems to '08 or newer. :rolleyes: :apple:

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
How did you enable the "extra" SATA ports for access from WIN 7 running under Boot camp. I haven't been able to find instructions for this & would like to do it if poss. Am running WIN 7 Ultimate x64 with no problems so far but did download updated video drivers from NVIDIA.

PS I have an early 2008 octocore.

The ODD SATA ports are enabled for booting Windows by setting the AHCI mode to the SATA device.

It looks like this is not possible for the 2008 model right now, but it might be possible soon with a different firmware which is about to be released by Apple.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
...but it might be possible soon with a different firmware which is about to be released by Apple.
By chance have you stumbled on some confirmation rather than the posts by Nadav35?

I'm not so sure about the validity there, as it could have been a misunderstanding of what was said, or the Apple employee wasn't properly informed, and gave incorrect information. :confused:

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
By chance have you stumbled on some confirmation rather than the posts by Nadav35?

I'm not so sure about the validity there, as it could have been a misunderstanding of what was said, or the Apple employee wasn't properly informed, and gave incorrect information. :confused:

Check post #5 for the list of unsupported Macs for Windows. There are 2007 models missing that definitely had EFI32. So there is some hope that those will get an update. But as always with these things you cannot be sure and Apple can just disregard the problems people have with the old firmware.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Check post #5 for the list of unsupported Macs for Windows. There are 2007 models missing that definitely had EFI32. So there is some hope that those will get an update. But as always with these things you cannot be sure and Apple can just disregard the problems people have with the old firmware.
Apple sees the '07 systems as '06 models for MP's though, and I presume the laptops are the same. Lending me to beleive all the EFI32 systems are excluded (2007 systems too), even though there's been some posts indicating success with Win7 (32bit version after a bit of additional work).

But I still don't read a firmware update into it. Only that the systems that are going to support BC 3.1 use EFI64.

Apple's page doesn't distinguish the between 32 or 64 bit versions of Win7 either, and it's hard to be sure, but hope that it means both will be supported, requiring the EFI64 firmware.

I just read newer drivers and perhaps an updated partition tool to be provided in BC 3.1. So I'll presume at this point to think there won't be a firmware update at all, for any system, unless it's absolutely necessary. As you say, users can hope and pray, but that doesn't mean Apple will do anything. It's not OS X, and they aren't as compelled to fix it (no profit in it in their minds I think). Customer Service = "When, and if, we feel like it".

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
It looks like this is not possible for the 2008 model right now, but it might be possible soon with a different firmware which is about to be released by Apple.

There is no way that you could possibly know that Apple is about to release a firmware update.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
There is no way that you could possibly know that Apple is about to release a firmware update.

Well, it is true that I do not have such knowledge. But a week ago another member here (Nadev35) claimed to have knowledge by Apple insiders. So there is some hope. And usually Apple actually do issue updates when they have a fault in the firmware. The question is will they do it for a fault that only concerns Windows. Time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.