Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
That is actually pretty cool, and like the guy said, it's runs the old Mac OS in emulation faster than the SE/30 ever could. That does make it the most elaborate mac upgrade ever.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
What exactly is a mini-itx? I tried to figure it out from the website, but finding the answer ended up taking way too long.

D

MikeLaRiviere

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Mini ITX is, I believe, a motherboard form factor. I apologize if you already knew this and my answer is insultingly simplistic.

Mike LaRiviere

acj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2003
mini-itx

It's a really small motherboard form factor. They have PC's that use those motherboards that fit in a cdrom drive bay and run off the 12v case power, and even include a cdrom. Theoretically, you could put one inside a Mac and network it to the Mac it is inside of. Like a parasite, or something...

Anyway, that's a nerdy site where people use the small motherbaords to make all sorts of goofy small computers that look like a bread box, teddy bear, old Mac, etc. They're pretty cheap and make fine non-gaming linux based computers so it makes a great hobby for people with lots of time and the desire to do such a thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.