Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I've heard this term around the board before, but what is a Kernal Panic? (not sure if I'm saying that right)

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I used to think it was a rare military phenomenon where a subordinate fails to salute the kernel and he is so filled with doubt that he panics and hides in the latrine.

But we all know that a kernel panic is how popcorn pops. The kernel starts to get hot and panics so he busts out of his shell. Isn't there a book about that?

If you get the computer kind a couple times a year I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes things just go crazy for no real reason and with no real consequence. When you get a kp daily or whenever you use the computer then you have a serious problem. People will tell you that bad RAM, dying logic boards, and dead video cards cause panics. They do. But most of them aren't caused by those things. Most of mine have been from stupid things like unplugging a USB or ethernet device while the Mac was asleep. It panics when it wakes up--I used to get that in Jaguar a lot. Usually you don't know what caused it, and restarting cures it.

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Nonono! It's when the chickens in cages that provide the raw computation of your computer run out of corn and go psychotic pecking each other's eyes out, etc.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Horrortaxi said:
I used to think it was a rare military phenomenon where a subordinate fails to salute the kernel and he is so filled with doubt that he panics and hides in the latrine.
Duff-Man says....not quite...actually it was what Klink did when Hogan came in....oh yeah!

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Kernel Panics are smart, because though it halts your system, you can actually read it, find out what happened, and then see more in the crash log. Good old apple thought of everything.

By the way, its when you have an idea and you realize that there isn't any truth in it.
Anyone get that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.