Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
When I start Boot Camp Windows 7 I get a red light in my head phone jack.Is there anything to fix it?

Its Windows 7 BETA 7100

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
When I start Boot Camp Windows 7 I get a red light in my head phone jack.Is there anything to fix it?

That's the optical output. It's an issue in Boot Camp.

Apple released an update to Boot Camp 2 (Leopard) for XP and Vista last week that fixed it but they are yet to issue the update for Boot Camp 3 (Snow Leopard) to fix this in Windows 7.

Windows 7 is currently not supported in Boot Camp but it seems to work OK on most machines using the drivers from the Snow Leopard disc.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Yeah that red eye is your S/PDIF digital out. Does it stay lid or is it only when you're booting? I'm on W7 right now and I don't have that red eye on.

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
That's the optical output. It's an issue in Boot Camp.

Apple released an update to Boot Camp 2 (Leopard) for XP and Vista last week that fixed it but they are yet to issue the update for Boot Camp 3 (Snow Leopard) to fix this in Windows 7.

Windows 7 is currently not supported in Boot Camp but it seems to work OK on most machines using the drivers from the Snow Leopard disc.

Why dont my Microphones work in windows?

dudeitsjay

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
If you're on the cirrus audio like my 2009 2.66 mbp 15'', then you'll have to use a usb mic to get the mic going on things like ventrilo. The builtin works for the windows sound recorder unless you turned it off in the control panel > sounds property window.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Quoted

As a contributing member of these forums I find that I am obligated to share my resolution to this issue in the case that people are still having the issue or will refer to these forums in the future. Thanks very much, but after looking through a dozen of similar threads that were of no help I hope that this does not dissapoint.

I simply updated to the latest version of Bootcamp, currently version 2.2, which specifically offers a patch for this issue.

Click to Download from Apple.com

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
If you have Bootcamp 3.0. The Snow-leopard setup. You won't easily get past this issue with the 2.X update.

However, there is another easy solution for the Headphone Jack and audio issue in Windows. As long as you are using a 32-bit setup. I think this solution isn't tested to work in the 64-bit ones.

http://www.stuffedcow.net/macbook_audio

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I do have Snow Leopard! Jeez will somebody read the information in the link. It says released in late a few weeks ago. I don't care if we're on version 68.3, it's new and it solved the problem for me and I, again, am using Snow Leopard.

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
This happens on my Macbook Pro as well, I find that if I have headphones plugged in when I boot into Windows 7 it will use the analog signal and not the optical signal.

Luigiview

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Solved!!

I have a MacBook Pro and I had this same problem after I updated iTunes. I disabled the sound driver and noticed that the red light turned off, so that meant it was a driver problem. So, I tried to re-install the driver, using the automatic driver install from Microsoft, but this never worked.

The solution was to install the Cirrus Logic CS4206A (AB 76) sound driver.

Hope this helps.

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
I have a MacBook Pro and I had this same problem after I updated iTunes. I disabled the sound driver and noticed that the red light turned off, so that meant it was a driver problem. So, I tried to re-install the driver, using the automatic driver install from Microsoft, but this never worked.

The solution was to install the Cirrus Logic CS4206A (AB 76) sound driver.

Hope this helps.

This thread is super old, how did you find it.
Also I already solved this problem , but thanks for posting anyways if anyone else needs to solve the problem

perkeo

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
This thread is super old, how did you find it.
Also I already solved this problem , but thanks for posting anyways if anyone else needs to solve the problem

I solved this problem in my MBP early 2009 by installing the High Definition Audio Driver from Realtek. Bootcamp Cirrus drivers (I tried several BootCamp versions) would not solve the problem. Initially I could not understand if the problem was hardware or software related. After installing Realtek's driver the red light disappeared and I was able to play audio files in my BootCamp Windows 10 x64 partition. Hope this can help someone else having the same or similar problem.

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Details.PNG
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver.PNG
Sound Control Panel.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.