Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 25, 2009, 02:41 AM   #1
helios16v
macrumors regular

PowerBook G3 Keyboard to G4

im in the market for a new keyboard for my powerbook g4, some vodka, along night.. i dont wanna talk about it

anyways everything is working perfect on the laptop, im on it right now using a usb keyboard. my powerbook is getting all scratched up and i was thinking of painting it because im going to be taking it apart one day to install a new bigger hard drive and more ram, so why not paint it while its all apart.

so naturally gloss black is my choice but i figure it will look funny with a silver keyboard..
so i was thining, paint the keyboard but i have a back lit keyboard so i cant do that so my question being, can i take the black keyboard out of a powerbook g3 and put it in my powerbook g4 and have it work. i heard you can from other sites with some modding of the cable, you need to cut and solder the ribbon cable from the g4 keyboard and solder it to the wires from the g3 keyboard and it works but i havent seen it working or anything like that.

so im checking before i go out and buy a new g3 keyboard then find out i wasted my money

another quick question, how hard is it to change the led's in the keyboard to blue rather then white. on a level 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest

-Ben
helios16v is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs