Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:21 AM   #1
kiratra
macrumors newbie

How to keep desktop folders in the same place?

I use the black macbook and I have several folders and files on my desktop. However, lately after I shutdown my macbook and start it again, all the folders and files on my desktop move and scatter. I want to keep them in the same order that I originally arranged. How do I keep them in the same place? Is it normal for them to move around after shutdown?

PS. I don't want to sort them out by name or date modified or anything like that. I just want to keep them in the same order that I put them.

Thanks

Ki
kiratra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:29 AM   #2
scienide09
macrumors 65816

Do you have an external monitor connected that you use as your primary display when working? I've seen this cause icons to shuffle around.

I've never seen my icons rearrange themselves automagically. Perhaps someone is using your computer while you're away from your workstation?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 04:53 AM   #3
kiratra
macrumors newbie

No, I don't have any external monitors. And there is nobody else using my macbook. I have a password so I know that if for sure. Plus, I see them rearrange themselves automatically when I restart my macbook. This happens every time when I turn it on. Hmmm... What is wrong with it?
kiratra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:46 AM   #4
waterplant
macrumors newbie

hey maybe you can arrange them by snap to grid
it's not arranged them file by name or date that you unlike
just make your files looks orderly
waterplant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:43 AM   #5
shady825
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scienide09 View Post
Do you have an external monitor connected that you use as your primary display when working? I've seen this cause icons to shuffle around.

I've never seen my icons rearrange themselves automagically. Perhaps someone is using your computer while you're away from your workstation?
After using my external monitor my icons and windows do as you mentioned. It drives me nuts! Is there a way to stop that?
It's noT so much the icons, it's the windows I care about.
After using my external if I don't make sure to place all the windows to the left side of the screen, I won't be able to see them next time I use the built in display. Just an annoying glitch I guess.. Or an uninformed user
thanks

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook