Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wadada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Hello all,
Forgive me if this has been covered. I searched a bit, and nothing seemed to match my problem.

2004 G4 iBook, I've replaced the hard drive, RAM, and updated to 10.5, all about a year ago. Running fine, until now. The power adapter has been funky for a while, bent connector and it has to be in exactly the right position to work, but always works. The battery (replaced once) doesn't hold a charge for long at all if unplugged.

Left it asleep, unplugged overnight, and now it won't turn on at all. Absolutely nothing happens when I push the power button. No fan or disk noises, no indication of anything going on. The battery was drained to one green light, but now shows all 4, and the green light is on around the adaptor.
I tried the PMU reset, and nothing.

Anybody have any wisdom here?

Thank you!

-tyler

DanielCalladine

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
Sydney
Hi Tyler,

I've had this problem on an iBook of mine and the first thing I'd try is a different power supply, see if you can borrow one before buying a new one. I've found in the past that the coloured light on the power supply connector can be misleading.

Other than this you could look at the dc-in board before the logic board.

Hope that helps, Daniel

wadada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Thanks Daniel and Ninja. Update:
I fiddled with the DC input by moving the adapter connector around, and it started up. So probably the adapter or the DC-in board, like you said...no?

Thanks again for the quick responses. Gonna try to squeeze a little more use out of the old girl!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.