Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 26, 2009, 02:37 PM   #1
heads up
macrumors member

Mac Mail & Gmail Exchange ActiveSync - Help

So I found out recently that I can setup my Gmail account to support push via Exchange ActiveSync for my iPhone. This feature is amazing! All my emails and contacts get synced and pushed straight to my iPhone from my Gmail acount.

For those who don't know this:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...40&topic=14252

Now here's my dilemma. I want to set this up on my MacBook Pro for Mail. I'm running Snow Leopard, so theoretically it should work because Mail 4 and Snow Leopard support Microsoft Exchange, but when I enter my email address and password into Mail, it automatically creates the new account using the Gmail IMAP server instead of the Exchange server.

Is there any way to manually setup a Gmail account using the Exchange server in Mail 4?
6G iPod Classic, 120GB, Black
heads up is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:15 PM   #2
wjanoch
macrumors newbie

Don't enter your password yet

If you leave your password blank, continue, error, continue again.

Then you can select Exchange 2007.

Only problem is, I can't find anyone who knows the "Incoming Mail Server" setting for this to work. I tried, imap.gmail.com, and m.gmail.com, and even exchange.gmail.com... none work.

The big reason to do this of course is so that one setup syncs mail, contacts, and calendars. There are other ways to get them all setup, but what a pain to do it separately on several computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heads up View Post
So I found out recently that I can setup my Gmail account to support push via Exchange ActiveSync for my iPhone. This feature is amazing! All my emails and contacts get synced and pushed straight to my iPhone from my Gmail acount.

For those who don't know this:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...40&topic=14252

Now here's my dilemma. I want to set this up on my MacBook Pro for Mail. I'm running Snow Leopard, so theoretically it should work because Mail 4 and Snow Leopard support Microsoft Exchange, but when I enter my email address and password into Mail, it automatically creates the new account using the Gmail IMAP server instead of the Exchange server.

Is there any way to manually setup a Gmail account using the Exchange server in Mail 4?
wjanoch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:43 AM   #3
iammike1
macrumors 6502a

To my understanding the Exchange services Gmail offers will only allow connections from specified mobile devices.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:11 PM   #4
shotdot
macrumors newbie

Exchange Gmail/Google Mac Mail

This is what google gave me when I emailed them about exchange and gmail...

"Basically, on iOS, Apple has decided to incorporate the possibility to use ActiveSync, which is the system thatís used by Microsoft Exchange and since this is a very accessible sync type, so Google was able to use it to achieve an easy way to sync on the iOS.

This same option isnít available directly on the Mac OS. In fact, the protocol that Google usually uses for syncing is MAPI and this is not a protocol thatís accessible to desktop Macs. Last year, the hope was that Microsoft Outlook 2011 would bring some of these protocols onto the Mac platform but, in the end, it still uses the same basic thing that are already incorporated into Apple Mail, Address Book, and iCal. Right now, users who are not running the proprietary iCloud sync, are forced to use 3 different protocols: IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV (or SyncML).

You can be sure that as soon as new protocols become available for the Mac OS, they will be incorporated into Googleís products!"
shotdot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store