Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phantom1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Well I've been purchasing my songs individually from iTunes, but since I often travel and listen to my iPod at work, $0.99 cents per song gets expensive. So what I'm looking for now is a music subscription service that will allow me to download unlimited songs for a monthly fee. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
There's none that I'm aware of, but have you looked into internet radio? Pandora is awesome, and there are many other good radio apps in the app store.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Subscription actually is more expensive in the long run, especially when most of those companies go out of business in a while, while the customer often gets nothing at the end.

JohnCaro

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
PA
Well I've been purchasing my songs individually from iTunes, but since I often travel and listen to my iPod at work, $0.99 cents per song gets expensive. So what I'm looking for now is a music subscription service that will allow me to download unlimited songs for a monthly fee. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Ive been getting my songs off of limewire for about 5 years now. Yes its illegal but limewire is fully compatible with my itunes. As soon as i download a song from limewire it adds it to my itunes library. All the songs work fine when i add them to my ipod as well. i strongly suggest this, after all its free!

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
If music subscriptions is a huge selling point for you, I'd suggest just getting a different player. There are no subscription services ala Rhapsody or Napster that are compatible with the iPod. Maybe if you Rockbox your iPod it will work, but there is no Rockbox (as far as I know) compatible with the iPod classic and later versions.

Maybe look at something like eMusic which can be cheaper than iTunes and you get to own the music.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Ive been getting my songs off of limewire for about 5 years now. Yes its illegal but limewire is fully compatible with my itunes. As soon as i download a song from limewire it adds it to my itunes library. All the songs work fine when i add them to my ipod as well. i strongly suggest this, after all its free!

And what are you planning to do when you get a nice letter from RIAA telling you you're being sued?

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Another alternative it to use Audio Hijack Pro. Tune into an Internet radio station, and Hijack the audio for two or three hours, and tada, you have 2 or 3 hours of music. The quality is okay for most people. You can also config for music breaks, etc....

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Maybe look at something like eMusic which can be cheaper than iTunes and you get to own the music.

I like emusic a lot (so much I have both a US and a UK account :rolleyes:)

If you want the latest mainstream single it's not the best but if you're just looking for new music to try it's fantastic. Worth trying the free trial and seeing what you think. And you get to keep all your music.

The only other subscription I can think of is the Zune pass which has its ups and downs. Main down is probably that first off you'd have to shell out for a Zune when you already have an iPod.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
And what are you planning to do when you get a nice letter from RIAA telling you you're being sued?

I think this is his business not yours. A lot of people think the music industry is taking advantage of people in managing music sales (and a lot of people within the business think likewise) and see such methods of promoting positive change.

Let's not forget that the music execs wouldn't even have us sharing non drm tracks within our computers at home a few years ago. And apple was one of the biggest proponents of non drm.

Imagine if they had gotten their way what a twisted, crappy situation our libraries would have been in, tied to all sorts of restrictions for our music, the music we own, eventually leading us to buy again and again all sort of formats.

The same twisted reality that they won't let you tranfer in a manageable format any hd recorded format from your tv to your mac in most hd boxes.

Same when vhs and beta came out, they were trying to stop people from actually owning their own recorded content.

As always positive change happens when one goes against the grain.

I am not suggesting anyone become a thief, but I won't think twice in downloading a dvd rip of a dvd I already own say. It's preposterous to think otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.