Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graceeria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
so i just got my macbook about a month ago and today i tried to do some customizing things with icons and i found the "trash empty" icon and accidentally deleted it and emptied the trash... so i only have the "trash full icon" and i cant find the "trash empty" icon

basically on my dock the trash icon is the "trash full" icon even if the trash is empty

...is there anyway to get the "trash empty" icon back even though i deleted it and emptied the trash ???

im really frustrated and any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! :eek:

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
so i just got my macbook about a month ago and today i tried to do some customizing things with icons and i found the "trash empty" icon and accidentally deleted it and emptied the trash... so i only have the "trash full icon" and i cant find the "trash empty" icon

basically on my dock the trash icon is the "trash full" icon even if the trash is empty

...is there anyway to get the "trash empty" icon back even though i deleted it and emptied the trash ???

im really frustrated and any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! :eek:

is it just the icon you missing? or the empty trash in the dock :confused:

graceeria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
i still have the trash icon in my dock but its only showing a full trash can icon always because the actual trash empty icon was deleted, so just the trash empty icon i am missing

i found the trash empty icon through something like system > library >core services > dock > contents and i accidentally deleted the icon from there

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Core Services is a folder, but Dock is an application, so you didn't delete an icon from there. I wonder if com.apple.dock.db or com.apple.dock.plist is corrupt. ?

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
Core Services is a folder, but Dock is an application, so you didn't delete an icon from there. I wonder if com.apple.dock.db or com.apple.dock.plist is corrupt. ?

Yes he did..

OP...never screw around in your Dock.app if you don't know what you're doing. At a minimum you should have backed up the original Dock.app so you could manually go in and copy the original files and paste them back into the one that is in use.

Here is another fact. You can't take a backup copy of Dock.app and simply paste the entire app over the corrupt one that is in use. The reason is because the Dock is active and there are resources in use that will prevent the process from finishing. The end result is even worse (stacks not working, etc). There is a way to disable it in terminal so you can do this, but I can't remember how to do it right now)

I have uploaded a copy of the "trashempty.png" taken from "Contents/Resources" Take this and put it back into the Dock.app (make sure the file is named "trashempty.png")

then open terminal and type:

killall Dock

Attachments

• trashempty.png
    trashempty.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,485
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.