Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 27, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
kaarup
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to kaarup
Restoring old Imac G5 17" original

Have an old G% that i've put RAM, HD in.

Now i need to figure out if the money has been wasted.

It makes no sound when i turn it on, dont show a boot screen (don't know if old models like this does) There's nothing on the HD.

I don't have a optical drive in it, so can't boot from that.

Is there any way i can make sure if it works?

2)
Can i use another G5 and install OS X on my HD via usb and put it back in my G5?
kaarup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:12 PM   #2
DSPalpatine
macrumors member

Sounds like bad power supply to me. However, have you checked the diagnostic LED lights on the logic board? If you take the back cover off the machine and then plug in the power cord, you should see four LED lights which, depending on which lights you see, can give you basic troubleshooting information. Search the Apple support pages on their website for more detailed information. I'd post a link, but I don't have time to look it up. Good luck.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
kaarup
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to kaarup
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPalpatine View Post
Sounds like bad power supply to me. However, have you checked the diagnostic LED lights on the logic board? If you take the back cover off the machine and then plug in the power cord, you should see four LED lights which, depending on which lights you see, can give you basic troubleshooting information. Search the Apple support pages on their website for more detailed information. I'd post a link, but I don't have time to look it up. Good luck.
I'll try that, but I forgot to mention that there is light in the lamp on the front, if that makes any different
kaarup is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs