Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Kidman13
macrumors regular

Getting started with iPhone programming --> COMPLETE Beginner!

I was wondering if anyone here could point me to the right direction to getting started with iPhone app development. I have always been interested in doing it, however, I've never really found a good complete beginner's guide. I have nooooo coding knowledge whatsoever (except for HTML, I guess) so I would be really starting from scratch.

If any of you has any tips, sites, books, for a complete noob, I would highly appreciate it!
Kidman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:25 AM   #2
uaecasher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to uaecasher Send a message via MSN to uaecasher Send a message via Yahoo to uaecasher
Objective-C, Cocoa, xCode explained this is a short discription of what each or these terms are, I think most people new to programming would be mixed up especially when there are books only for Cocoa or xCode.

the book that I recommend is "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" it does NOT assume you have ANY background on programming, it only teaches you the parts of C that you need, it also teaches you simple iPhone SDK.

tips for learning: be patient, you don't have to memorize things such as the deferent ways to call deferent types of data, with these things you can always go back and check it out from the internet or the book (your not in an exam lol).

The most important thing is to do the examples, play around with them, change values and if you have a problem look it up.

Hope this helps.
uaecasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3
firewood
macrumors 603

Learn to program first, in some language other than Objective C. XCode is not an optimal environment for beginning programming.

If you must start out with iPhone stuff, I recommend starting out doing some small Javascript web apps for iPhone Safari. A much more forgiving environment for learning to code. You can even learn OOP concepts with Javascript.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidman13 View Post
If any of you has any tips, sites, books, for a complete noob, I would highly appreciate it!
Learning to find and use pre-existing information (documentation, forums, etc.) is my tip of late.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming